diy solar

diy solar

How frequently does your solar system need attention?

if it werent for my ever improving tinkering.. basically never.

hybrid system using sunsynk 12k ( x 2) aka sol-ark/deye and a couple of diy rack mount 304 ah batteries

Schneider xw, Enphase iq7+, Recycled ev battery with SIMP BMS. Self install.

I really like the Schneider ecosystem. But the balance of materials really adds up.
Thank you. I will add Schneider to my short list of companies. I would like an EMP hardened system, not sure if Schneider provides that.

@45North Yes most everyone here thinks its fun; it is basically a hobby for many. Truth is I am NOT a solar DIY person, I will buy a turn key system but want to learn a little and have questions answered by folks that know much more than I do.

I've been operating off-grid for 5 years - 71Mwh of PV to date. Overall, it's been hi gain / minimal issues when you compare it to car or home ownership.

However, in that time I've had a couple of major issues.....
- An electrician installed butt-joint burned thru (in a metal connection box) that caused wildly intermittent battery voltages at one of the charge controllers - resulting in erratic charge controller behavior. Took several days to figure this out. The burn was concerning as it could have started a fire if not contained within metal connection box. (Score 1 for conduit/codes!!)

- One of my AIMs 12,000w inverters, after 4.5yrs / 25,000hrs of operation - suddenly starting doing 120v voltage drops every few seconds - causing UPS and ATSs rapid switch-overs. Very hard on loads!!
**Not sure how to protect against this if I was not physically present.

Ongoing attention....
- I use 6 ATSs to enable consumption of off-grid (inverter) power with automatic switching to grid when the battery runs down. I've had to replace 2 of them over the last 5 years as the mechanical relays just stop switching reliably. This didn't cause any issues as it defaulted to grid - but blocked the use of off-grid power till replaced.

- DIY Battery bank balance tweaks every 6-9 months.

- I use an external mechanical relay to turn the inverters on/off by voltage via the Midnite Classic AUX1 internal relay. After 5 yrs it stopped working as mechanical swing action wouldn't finish closing the contacts. Crazy - no obvious reason, just kind of 'hung up'. Replaced the relay.
Can you tell us a little more about your 6 ats? How is this set up?

I have numerous (a few dozen) full time off grid customers that got 20 years or more out of thier Trace and Outback inverters without single hiccup other than a battery swap out here and there. The only reason they replaced them is because they wanted to do it on thier terms rather than in an emergency should the equipment fail.

Children were born, grew into adults, got married and had children of thier own at some of these customer's places with the same equipment pumping the water and keeping the lights on 24/7. I've now got thier still fully functional old gear gathering dust in the corner of my shop ready to be used to replace other off grid customers equipment should it fail.

Specifically to your question: they needed no maintenance other than watering the batteries every month or two. As far as "how much attention" of course there's is a bit of learning curve for full time offgrid in that one does have to learn to balance usage with resources. I was always amazed by how well so many people did with what many would have considered impossibly low daily energy budgets.

Last edited:
Grid Tied for 8 yrs via 11kW SMA. Other than panel washing once a year almost no maintenance. Upgraded to Sol Ark 15k last September with Storage. So far it’s been just as reliable. I do check on it using my phone every evening but that’s not a must do. I do play the arbitrage game so I do change my TOU settings most evenings but again not a must. I am still fine tuning my strategies for seasonal TOU rates but again not a must.

Can you tell us a little more about your 6 ats? How is this set up?
Sure.... The idea is my inverters feed these and grid feeds them and this is how I consume my off-grid power. When the off-grid inverters turn on the ATSs auto-switch to use this power. When the battery runs down / inverters switch off, the ATSs auto switch back to grid.
1682563921785.png

4 of them are 240v/120v@50a Progressive - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAWNVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title - which gives me 200a @ 240v worth of circuit distribution.

- One at the main panel paired with an MTS for what you can think of selectable 'critical circuits'....
1682563281048.png
- One at the whole house heat-pump outdoor compressor
1682563721526.png
- One at the cooktop/hot-water/rain-harvest pump 'wiring junction'
- One at a key circuit convergence for misc circuits

2 of them are 120v@30a Go-Power ATSs - https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-30-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B00153EYTO/ref=sr_1_3 - used in conjunction with house wide APC 3000 UPS circuits for sensitive stuff like computers, TV, printer, etc... that need protection from the ATS switch-overs described above. *They were $80 when I bought them.
1682563686371.png

Specifically they needed no maintenance other than watering the batteries every month or two. As far as "how much attention goes" of course there's is a bit of learning curve for full time offgrid in that one does have to learn to balance usage with resources. I was always amazed by how well so many people did with what many would have considered impossibly low daily energy budgets.
Thanks. The responses here make me feel much better about it. Monitoring the battery storage should be easy (South Georgia where it will get lots of sun) plus I don't use much power now, only 5-6Kw a day so a 5-8Kw system should provide plenty as long as I have enough battery capacity.

Being off grid, my main concern is battery usage. I check on it frequently to make sure it has sufficient charge. I check the weather forecasts to find out if it will be cloudy, stormy, or whatever that may cause my system to get less solar power.

But if I had lots and lots of batteries and lots and lots of solar panels, I wouldn't have to do those things I stated above. I only do it because my battery storage is 25KWH and my solar panels are 3000W. I charge my electric vehicle with the system as well as a mini-split AC/Heat pump, 2 freezers, my security system w/ 16 cameras, and a few smaller things (Wyze camera, Ryobi battery charger, WiFi extender,...)

Sure.... The idea is my inverters feed these and grid feeds them and this is how I consume my off-grid power. When the off-grid inverters turn on the ATSs auto-switch to use this power. When the battery runs down / inverters switch off, the ATSs auto switch back to grid.
View attachment 146715

4 of them are 240v/120v@50a Progressive - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAWNVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title - which gives me 200a @ 240v worth of circuit distribution.

- One at the main panel paired with an MTS for what you can think of selectable 'critical circuits'....
View attachment 146711
- One at the whole house heat-pump outdoor compressor
View attachment 146714
- One at the cooktop/hot-water/rain-harvest pump 'wiring junction'
- One at a key circuit convergence for misc circuits

2 of them are 120v@30a Go-Power ATSs - https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-30-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B00153EYTO/ref=sr_1_3 - used in conjunction with house wide APC 3000 UPS circuits for sensitive stuff like computers, TV, printer, etc... that need protection from the ATS switch-overs described above. *They were $80 when I bought them.
View attachment 146713
Hey thanks! I don't want to feel this thread with a thousand questions so I'll pm you. Thanks

I am trying to get an idea of how reliable properly installed off-grid solar systems from a reputable company are. How different is it from simply depending on the grid?

Under normal usage how often do you need to interact with system to keep it running well? Once a month? Once a year? And is it something simple such as "click to reset" or is it usually more complicated?
Ya darn tootin I’m Gona check on my stuff a lot.. If I just stare at it long enough while drinking some beers , I will realize what new items I need to order to make it better… life is happier with Amazon packages on the way….packages are fun…….

I water the batteries (FLA) every 60 days. Otherwise, nothing else has been required.
I do seem to be addicted to the app, like to log in and watch the system working……

Pardon the slight rambling but I am reminded of people that drive their car out of gas because they do not bother to monitor the gas gauge. Or are late to appointments because paying attention to dates and times seems too difficult. Not that I am implying the OP is asking if he can totally ignore an off grid PV system once setup.

Routine maintenance of items means you are not caught flat by something that could have been avoided. Yes this can be accomplished by hiring others to do that maintenance or supply the service. Which for some may the best approach on a time/cost basis.

I pay the electric company to supply me a dependable supply of electricity. They handle all the maintenance and repair up to my home. I do not pay much attention to what they do or how.

Sorry for the morning soliloquy.

Pardon the slight rambling but I am reminded of people that drive their car out of gas because they do not bother to monitor the gas gauge. Or are late to appointments because paying attention to dates and times seems too difficult. Not that I am implying the OP is asking if he can totally ignore an off grid PV system once setup.

You did kind of imply that, but that's fine. :) I am a single "she" that is planning to have a small off-grid house built in a rural area for retirement (to prep for a long term grid down situation).

My question was aimed at how often, on average, these systems go down for various reasons and need the user to change/fix things in order to get the power back on (other than the batteries running low which is an obvious thing).

If they were prone to "mystery glitches" that needed a ton of research to fix every few weeks I would have to consider a hybrid system even though I don't want too. I am not keen on the idea of spending $20k+ only to discover I bought an expensive never-ending headache, kwim?

Based on the responses it seems properly sized systems from a quality manufacturer typically are reliable and headache free with only occasional problems like any mechanical device.

Last edited:

If they were prone to "mystery glitches" that needed a ton of research to fix every few weeks I would have to consider a hybrid system even though I don't want too. I am not keen on the idea of spending $20k+ only to discover I bought an expensive never-ending headache, kwim?

Based on the responses it seems the systems typically are reliable and headache free with only occasional problems like any mechanical device.
You bring up a point that I had not put much thought into. Companies that do off grid PV installation. There are no shortage of the grid tie operations out there (many of which you need to watch your wallet) but I do not see much about those doing high quality off grid installations. I am not talking about the component sales companies like SolArk or SS but actual firms or individuals that design and install an off grid setup. Most off grid setups seems to be a individual undertaking with use of electricians when necessary.

S610 if you are going totally off grid it will behoove you to understand exactly what it is you need and whether you are getting it from anyone you hire to do the work.

S610 if you are going totally off grid it will behoove you to understand exactly what it is you need and whether you are getting it from anyone you hire to do the work.

Oh yeah I will do plenty of research on that. I am leaning strongly towards a Sol-Ark emp hardened inverter at the very least but do want to be familiar with the best battery types etc...

Fortunately the new home site will be within 45 minutes of Jacksonville, FL and there are lots of installers there (some certified for Sol-Ark and other brands) and I will be very careful when it comes to the components/configuration of the system I buy.

That is why I am on this forum, I want knowledgeable "non-salesmen" opinions when it comes time to make a final selection.

It isn't that I am opposed to learning, it is just that when I read the threads on this forum they are so far over my head it is like they were written in Chinese and it is very intimidating though I am capable of learning the basics.

Oh yeah I will do plenty of research on that. I am leaning strongly towards a Sol-Ark emp hardened inverter at the very least but do want to be familiar with the best battery types etc...

Fortunately the new home site will be within 45 minutes of Jacksonville, FL and there are lots of installers there (some certified for Sol-Ark and other brands) and I will be very careful when it comes to the components/configuration of the system I buy.

That is why I am on this forum, I want knowledgeable "non-salesmen" opinions when it comes time to make a final selection.

It isn't that I am opposed to learning, it is just that when I read the threads on this forum they are so far over my head it is like they were written in Chinese and it is very intimidating though I am capable of learning the basics.
I know an off grid installer that charges around $2/Watt + battery cost. Get some bids and see how they compare.

FWIW, the more of you ,you put in any thing you acquire or build , the less that problems will be feared in the future as you know every part ,wire ,bolt and device that is connected …you connected it all.. it’s your build…it’s not as scary if somthing goes south.
if some one else does it , you are generally in a lesser position of confidence and may be totally dependent on them in the future. = $$$$$$$.

simply put , do all you can do…
what you can’t do ,learn how to do it…
what you shouldn’t do, ( Don’t do it ..hire someone.).

good luck…J.

Nobody is born with knowledge.
We are all here to help each other achieve our individual goals.
There's nothing wrong with hiring someone to do the installation. But it's still good to know what they are installing and why. And the more you know about how your system works. The more comfortable you will be using it.

Back