diy solar

diy solar

How frequently does your solar system need attention?

Spring is a nuisance getting the pollen off the panels for a couple weeks or removing snow is a few things but for me with a dual system that has timers galore, knife switches to move panels to around. Quite complicated for me but doesn't have to be that way.

I thought I had a lot of hours wrapped up in mine.

All those 18650 cells. Makes my brain hurt thinking of all the time spent putting those together.
Retired / background hobby - saved significant $ as a trade-off for personal time.

How many KWH did you end up building with those?
Currently at 121.5kwh. Have cells in the pipe for the next 13.5kwh addition and will probably stop there as I'll be at ~30% average DOD and we'll see if they will last 15-20years (5000+ cycles) and still be useable. :)
1682712543844.png

Last edited:
Once set up with decent quality components you could possibly just look at it once in a while, checking tightness of connections after 6 months then yearly? Of course it also depends on your battery situation.

It is good form to get to know your system from the beginning though. This will inform your behavior when the sun is more scarce.

I know a couple of people off grid with Sol-Ark 12Ks and Generators for backup and they tell me that the only real maintenance that they do is fueling up the generator and checking it's oil.
If your goal is to have the least amount of work possible then invest in good equipment with a known track record.

Are you looking for a new hobby?
Or do you already have a busy life and other interests?
That is the big question that is often ignored on this forum when people are suggesting equipment.
You might add to Busy Life and other interest,"Do you have a wife that is willing to put up with power issues?"
My wife was very resistant to solar because she associated it with unreliable power and having batteries levels dictate what she could and could not do.

That is the big question that is often ignored on this forum when people are suggesting equipment.
You might add to Busy Life and other interest,"Do you have a wife that is willing to put up with power issues?"
My wife was very resistant to solar because she associated it with unreliable power and having batteries levels dictate what she could and could not do.
That is one reason i sized my system as I did. I wanted it to be indistinguishable as possible from Grid power. I also wanted operational simplicity so anyone in the family could operate it. Mission accomplished!

My wife and I had a similar discussion before we went with the first solar build I did.

We had watched shows in the past years ago where people would show a solar setup in their homes and it was :

"The system is awesome! Oh no we dont do this or that unless the suns up or we cant use that appliance unless the suns up and the weathers pretty"

My wife and I are like "well thats about stupid"

Our rule of thumb when we built the system was to save power where we could but we refused to do without ANYTHING.

So only things that were low power or not required made it to the solar side all the time with higher loads only when no one was using them.

Made for a happy wife and that makes for a happy life :)

My wife and I had a similar discussion before we went with the first solar build I did.

We had watched shows in the past years ago where people would show a solar setup in their homes and it was :

"The system is awesome! Oh no we dont do this or that unless the suns up or we cant use that appliance unless the suns up and the weathers pretty"

My wife and I are like "well thats about stupid"

Our rule of thumb when we built the system was to save power where we could but we refused to do without ANYTHING.

So only things that were low power or not required made it to the solar side all the time with higher loads only when no one was using them.

Made for a happy wife and that makes for a happy life :)
Yep a happy wife is also key to a man having a long life:LOL:.
I met my Ham Radio Elmer about 15 years ago and he just happened to have Solar and was boasting about it non stop whenever I talked to him on the radio. He insisted that I come by and see it in person.
I drove by one day to see his solar setup and Ham shack. It was in the day, so the most outstanding thing I saw was his garage which was half full of used industrial SLA batteries and a crap load of what I think were 100W panels on his property. After that it was off to his shack to see his radio gear.

A few months later on a road trip with the wife we were passing near his house in the evening so I stopped to say hello. Since it was night I was really curious to see what his off grid living was like at night.

My wife immediately noticed that every room in the house that was unoccupied was dark and that the house was hot. He had power meters in his kitchen and living room and was looking at them every time he passed by one.
As we left the Dinning room he turned off the dining room lights and as we headed towards the front porch he turned on the main porch lights.

As soon as we left and got back in the Car my wife said "I cannot live like that". I nodded in agreement and the subject never came up again until two plus years ago when I mentioned Solar to her for our house.
Lets just say that I agree that a woman never forgets:ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
wife immediately noticed that every room in the house that was unoccupied was dark
That’s been normal for me since a child. Why pay to light a room where you are not? The room doesn’t care, your checkbook does.
and that the house was hot
Sorry ?
I live in Vermont. We open windows. I’m not a sympathetic ear LOL
happy wife is also key
i do not have that system in place, though

In this case I am "the wife" so to speak, I want something that is generally reliable and won't require constant "fixes". I don't mind running some things during the day (dishwasher, washing machine etc...) but don't want to be lighting candles or carrying buckets of rain water because the system keeps crashing!

And that was the jist of the question -- not if it can supply enough power but if they are prone to crashing for unknown reasons leaving me staring at equipment and trying to figure out what is wrong using a cell phone to post on forums like this, kwim?

Though from everything I have read here a properly sized Sol-Ark inverter with enough battery storage (and professional install) should be pretty reliable.

In this case I am "the wife" so to speak, I want something that is generally reliable and won't require constant "fixes". I don't mind running some things during the day (dishwasher, washing machine etc...) but don't want to be lighting candles or carrying buckets of rain water because the system keeps crashing!

And that was the jist of the question -- not if it can supply enough power but if they are prone to crashing for unknown reasons leaving me staring at equipment and trying to figure out what is wrong using a cell phone to post on forums like this, kwim?

Though from everything I have read here a properly sized Sol-Ark inverter with enough battery storage (and professional install) should be pretty reliable.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

In my opinion if you have access to grid power a hybrid unit no matter the brand is the way to go. Solar, battery or whatever you have will power what it can and if it can't because of defect or not being large enough the missing power comes from the grid. I started doing solar before this was available (unless I missed it somehow) and it was a game changer for me. I didn't do solar at my new house at first even though I had it at my old house because I didn't want the hassle. Hybrid systems was what convinced me. It was truly a game changer for me.

The only Tier1 component in my system is a Victron Smart CC.
My battery bank is DIY with JBD BMSs, (4) 24v 200ah batteries with new but salvaged cells purchased at a very deep discount
My panels and inverter is Eco Worthy (Amazon purchase)
A MOES ATS (which many warn about but I have not had a problem)

My system was built mainly for backup but not wanting to waste the potential power I added the ATS to use a limited amount of battery capacity
I adjust that seasonally, severely limiting battery usage in winter when the sun makes a rare appearance. If the grid goes down I want a fairly full battery bank. In summer I pretty much throw caution to the wind and use far more of the 'reserve' power. Adjusting the voltage settings doesn't require a system shut down

I'm now going on 4 years and the only time my system has been down is when I've upgraded my CC and added to the battery bank.

So, IMO a system can run for years without a hiccup if properly installed.

Some people go off-grid and don't have much money. The "grid like" is nice but it takes lots of $$$$.
I always approach a goal with the intention of getting the most out of my money.
Not spending more of my money, than was required.

The only Tier1 component in my system is a Victron Smart CC.
My battery bank is DIY with JBD BMSs, (4) 24v 200ah batteries with new but salvaged cells purchased at a very deep discount
My panels and inverter is Eco Worthy (Amazon purchase)
A MOES ATS (which many warn about but I have not had a problem)

My system was built mainly for backup but not wanting to waste the potential power I added the ATS to use a limited amount of battery capacity
I adjust that seasonally, severely limiting battery usage in winter when the sun makes a rare appearance. If the grid goes down I want a fairly full battery bank. In summer I pretty much throw caution to the wind and use far more of the 'reserve' power. Adjusting the voltage settings doesn't require a system shut down

I'm now going on 4 years and the only time my system has been down is when I've upgraded my CC and added to the battery bank.

So, IMO a system can run for years without a hiccup if properly installed.
And this represents the other end of the spectrum. I have to ask if your system has an issue is there anyone other than you that could diagnose the issue, operate it or repair it? My first guess is a NO.

And this represents the other end of the spectrum. I have to ask if your system has an issue is there anyone other than you that could diagnose the issue, operate it or repair it? My first guess is a NO.
Your first guess is correct. No one else in the family is interested enough to bother.
But then I'd guess that would cover nearly all systems, the builder knows and everyone else is Oh Noes

In my opinion if you have access to grid power a hybrid unit no matter the brand is the way to go.
That was our original plan to have both. When I found it was only going to be $1600 to get 4 poles and the power loop(meter, etc..) I was shocked at how cheap it was. Then I found out, new customer installs are funded by all the customers via a $50 fee every month, we decided to go 100% off-grid. Best decision I ever made. I retired at age 46. Its worth it.

Back