diy solar

diy solar

How many lithium batteries to equal my current lead acid system?

For someone accustomed to buying name-brand-off-the-shelf FLA/AGM/GEL for battery banks, Battleborn is a very logical go-to... essentially turnkey with a 10 year warranty... No more DIY required than building a FLA/AGM/GEL bank. It's very appealing.

48V/280AH/14,3kWh. (figure $2000 USD with BMS, Fuse & Box,)
$4000 USD = 28kWh @ 48V.
I just had 16 grade A batteries sent out for a total of $2400. The price that Amy received was Probbaly $2k, but then there was shipping and Ali's percentage of the sale. I just don't want anyone shocked by that additional 20% that hits the credit card.

I just had 16 grade A batteries sent out for a total of $2400. The price that Amy received was Probbaly $2k, but then there was shipping and Ali's percentage of the sale. I just don't want anyone shocked by that additional 20% that hits the credit card.
I did say in my post that the Shipping Guesstimator is just that and to contact Amy via Chat/Messenger for a proper quote which is always better than the Guesser. So to clarify, the cells were $2000 and shipping was $400 ? for a total of $2400 ?

A PV panel costs $0.025/kWh (amortized over 10 years)
AGM costs $0.50, FLA costs $0.25/kWh over its cycle life.
Name brand lithium batteries cost $0.50/kWh (if they deliver the promised 3500+ cycles)
DIY lithium costs $0.05/kWh (again if they last)

My system is grid-backup, with AGM just big enough to get through one night and enough PV to recharge it 5 times over during the day.
If you have a backup generator and you added extra PV (cheap now), undersize battery might work for you. But DIY lithium is affordable.
Excellent concise information.

I’m not a “lead acid is better” proponent at all. However, I’m not deaf to information.
If “buying in” on a new install you’d naturally be figuring for LFP, but as the numbers indicate fla has some good irons in the fire.

I think fla still has a place - especially if you’re not building for gigawatt gigantic outputs and you do not have warm-space battery storage.

Time will tell- i run inexpensive fla batteries for my solar but that has only been three+ years. With boats and some RV stuff I’ve had double or better lifespan than most people experience from this type of deep cycle battery (by treating them well). I’m intrigued to see at what point my battery bank starts showing declines in performance. I got almost eight years from one “group 29” dc battery in my old 40HP fishing boat; unusual but still…

I know one person off grid locally who had tons of Ah in golf cart batteries. IIRC she went 2001-2012 and had to replace them. And that’s with “old” technology.
I should call her and see how batch #2 has worked out and/or if she’s upgraded anything to lifepo or otherwise. I know she did the batteries when a lightning strike that came in on the phone line fried the charge controller (and the phone, fax, and other stuff) and it was both “the time” and convenient. (She is ~2 miles from the nearest pole but got direct-buried phone cheaply; getting 120V was not even close to affordable and no easements available anyway)

Lead Acid Batteries still have a place imho

So to clarify, the cells were $2000 and shipping was $400 ? for a total of $2400 ?
For 16 Eve 280 ah Cells $2409.27: $1968 for the batteries, $372 for sea shipping. The rest of the fee came from Ali’s cut for the payment method, in my case was Credit card for about a 3% fee.

One of my pet peeves is finding a real price for a Higher priced product. Makes it hard to budget.

Some things in order to find the price, you have to buy it to find out how much its going to cost, kind of like passing a bill in congress. Specifically hopping for a new truck. When I looked, I could not find out how much payments for a new truck would be unless I bought it because the salesman would only know his price, not the aftermarket options. Posted that on a truck forum and was surprised that the answers I got were most people just want to know the price before aftermarket. As if that extra 20% took care of itself magically. Same thing when shopping for new house builds. There’s a price depending on model, but the small print says you need to buy at least 5% upgrades, but most people get 20%.

Seems like Amy does care about her products. I was in Korea and some sellers there dealt with goods in bulk like a commodity where all the product they sold was the same, but the shop that got to know there supplier and would actually pick and choose did so much better.

diy solar

diy solar
Back