diy solar

diy solar

How many tons is this AC?

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
IMG_5272.jpeg
How many tons and how many SEERs is this unit? Model:

24aba348a003001a

Trying to figure out essential loads for a grid tied 8kw outback radian with battery a 10 kwh battery. Actually trying to see if this can be powered by the Radian. Not expecting more than an hour of runtime with the current battery.

Looks like a 48,000 BTU or 4 Tons. Based on the RLA this is not a very efficient model 12 SEER, but they usually don't operate at the max RLA unless its REALLY hot. Looked up the model number and is listed as 13 to 14 SEER which is the minimum allowed.
Did you install a Soft Starter? Micro-air or HyperEngineering.

Looks like a 48,000 BTU or 4 Tons. Based on the RLA this is not a very efficient model 12 SEER, but they usually don't operate at the max RLA unless its REALLY hot. Looked up the model number and is listed as 13 to 14 SEER which is the minimum allowed.
Did you install a Soft Starter? Micro-air or HyperEngineering.
How did you come up with 12 seer? I tried looking up the model number and the 348 I thought meant 3 SEER 4 ton.

Where did you find info on the model number? I did not find anything on google.

In my above post I should have said, the EER is 12 based on the Tonage and RLA. EER/SEER are based on a direct division of the BTU/hr capacity divided by the RLA watts. SEER is a seasonal adjusted value which is a little higher.
48,000/(208Vx19.9A) = 48,000/4,139W = 11.6 EER which correlates to the datasheet.

Check out page 2 of the attached PDF for model number decoder

Attachments

• Carrier24ABA3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Look on the label. See the LRA and RLA line.

The RLA is running amps after motor/compressor has started up. The LRA is locked rotor amps and is the power needed to start up this unit. Both numbers are times the voltage. 1 HP is about 745 watts of power. 109 x 230 volts = 25,070 watts of surge power to start this compressor unit up. That's an inrush current of 33 HP.

This unit is highly inefficient and should be tossed out, even if your need to replace with a mini split.

In contrast, our 5 ton (60,000 BTU) variable speed Trane unit has an LRA of 16 amps. It takes only 3,840 watts of power to start it up. So also note you are paying a lot to operate this old unit.

Look on the label. See the LRA and RLA line.

The RLA is running amps after motor/compressor has started up.
Thanks. I was thinking this was around 4 kw to run, and appears with the RLA it is 4 kw.
This unit is highly inefficient and should be tossed out, even if your need to replace with a mini split.
I am trying to decide whether to toss it our or rise it out. To me, at a cost of $18k for two new units, does not make financial sense to replace them to save $500 for 4 months a year.

Yes, AC very expensive now. We rebuilt entire system from 2005 with new Trane 22 SEER system in early 2020 before the giant price raises and parts shortages. We decided the 10 year parts and labor as well as 12 on compressor had good value. But I thing if you can find a 15-18 SEER variable speed unit you can save money and improve comfort and add value to home.

I've been looking into the Trane XV20i with Zone control. Super nice equipment, can't wrap my mind around the price tag. Seems like the better choice would be a less expensive, slightly less efficient, 2 stage system and add a few more roof top solar panels.

My rooftop solar will get added soon. I chose an Outback Radian 8048 , and with 10 kW of panels, this will max the inverter out. If I were to add more panels, I would need to add another inverter. I do have room for 6 kW to 8 Kw of East / West facing panels on my roof.
The LRA is locked rotor amps and i...... 25,070 watts of surge power to start this compressor unit up. That's an inrush current of 33 HP.
I am told that the prior Radians installed were able to run ACs, but I would not be surprised if I need a new AC. I have the 4 or 5 ton AC on the battery back up circuits.

Yes, AC very expensive now. We rebuilt entire system from 2005 with new Trane 22 SEER system in early 2020 before the giant price raises and parts shortages. We decided the 10 year parts and labor as well as 12 on compressor had good value. But I thing if you can find a 15-18 SEER variable speed unit you can save money and improve comfort and add value to home.
Up to 22 seer. I have American Standard 20 SEER 2 ton. They are great for solar!

As a non-American, I find the use of tons for aircon capacity, weird. I understand its origin, but surely a normal power rating would be more useful? Why is tons still used?

Tons is an old British unit of measurement. One ton capacity is equal to 12,000 BTU's (British thermal units).

"A Btu is the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1 pound (0.45 kilograms) of water one degree Fahrenheit (0.56 degrees Celsius). One Btu equals 1,055 joules. In heating and cooling terms, one ton equals 12,000 Btu."

Switching over to the metric system? That’s like asking us to get some integrity and accountability in the USA. Not gonna happen.

Tons is an old British unit of measurement. One ton capacity is equal to 12,000 BTU's (British thermal units).
I know that however that's not the reason a ton is used to indicate an aircon's cooling capacity. It harks back to when ice was used for cooling and was sold by the ton.

Switching over to the metric system? That’s like asking us to get some integrity and accountability in the USA. Not gonna happen.
I never said anything about metric. That said, retail electricity tariffs in the USA are typically cents per kWh.

Ton just seems weird.

The latent heat energy of ice melting is 334 J/g. Per tonne that's 334,000 kJ or 316571 BTU. Over a day that's 26.4 tons / day or 1.1 ton/hour.

Just a slightly weird curiosity.

Back