diy solar

diy solar

How much more WATT do reflectors/mirrors really produce?

GoetzSaCebu

I see different videos online using reflectors but as I live in the HOT Philippines my panels will always run at high temperature.
I plan on buying 2 450W panels and now ask myself on how much output I can get by adding reflectors.

In videos I see they get around 10% more output, but is that true also in tropical temperatures?
And are cheap aluminum foil reflectors ok, or better buy real mirrors?
Reason is that a 450W panel is around 180$ here and a 3rd panel uses more space I just think about ow to maximize with 2 panels.

One of the best ways to employ reflectors, particularly for hot environments, is to go for cumulative improvement versus concentrator approach which raises panel temp, diminishing improvement.

For a fixed position panel tilted south in northern hemisphere, you can use reflectors to direct more sun from mid-morning and mid-afternoon to face of panels. This gives more total energy produced for day without pumping up panel temp too much.

PV panels use wavelengths from 0.4 um (blue) to 1.1 um (infra-red). Polished aluminum is good reflector. Aluminum mylar insulating material makes a good reflector.

PV Sun spectral intensity.png

Last edited:
Part of the problem with reflectors is keeping them aimed at the panels throughout the day and season.

Panels are relatively cheap, just add more. Over there I would be worried about cyclones, so you might want to consider the angle you mount the panels on. (I think flat, or parallel to the roof would be the safest)

I will go for 4 540W panels in 12x2 rid -ouput will be 100V and 20A max.The DeltaPro can use 1500W then as its limited to 15Amp input. But thats fine as we use only 750W per hour (460KW/month).

So with 4x 540W I hope I get 500+W even on cloudy days and hopefully with reflectors can raise this to 600+W, enough to power myappliances.

perhaps either of these videos might contain some reference material of value

good luck on your project

Back