diy solar

diy solar

How much safer is 24v vs 48v ?

this new 2.5+2.5=5kW model from WZRELB in the future
I know things have ‘progressed’ a bit but that would seem - being mid-low segment- @Will Prowse might want to include it in a test between … well there really isn’t anything in that range that I know of besides the AIO’s, is there?

While I was doing mindless work today I’ve been thinking over that unit. “My next step up” wouldn’t probably be beneficial at 5000W. Dunno. It’s an excellent unit because it’s in that neglected mid/lower segment but it’s ~20A. For the shop (the only reason to upgrade) I’d want 50A 220VAC
I’ll know in a few months how the champion6500 does with the TiG; 6250/6500 in any practical consideration is a 5000W generator. A 5000W split phase inverter generator is an awful lot like a 5000W split phase battery inverter I would guess.
If I get no headroom issues with TiG or big compressor on the gen, maybe it would be worthwhile?

Last edited:
Yeah, but a fully charged Lifepo4 could go as high as 56v. Does this make a difference?
This thing always makes me wonder -- all switches I can find, like main battery switch, are all rated to 48v, not nominal, but max. So, 56v is too much.

Where do you find your materials that allow up to 60v?

This thing always makes me wonder -- all switches I can find, like main battery switch, are all rated to 48v, not nominal, but max. So, 56v is too much.

Where do you find your materials that allow up to 60v?
For circuit breakers, I personally got 125A MCCBs from ZJBENY:

Rated up to 500v (non-polarized). These are for my batteries (one for each).

For my main breaker (bus bar to inverter), I got a 160A SUNTREE:

I got mine from Amazon, but now it not available.

I don't use disconnect switches, just breakers and fuses.
For fuses I got these 58v ones (for a 24v system):

I think simple disconnect switches/isolators are somewhat problematic, as they usually have no arc chutes and are not intended to disconnect during load. So they are suitable for lower voltages.
There are PV isolators with high voltage rating, but it seems that the industry is moving away from these due to many occasions of fires/melting of these isolators.

Back