diy solar

diy solar

How, or should I even earth-ground my electrical panel on my off-grid system?

Solar Love

I have a truck shop located off-grid, since the cost to pull power out to my location was about the same as setting up my own system, I decided to go that route. I have built out a power station/office in a shipping container and added on and around the container 14kW of PV. I'm using a Sol-Ark 15k inverter and three EG4 PowerPro batteries (42.9kWh). I've wired and run everything into an electrical panel, where I have the single G/N Bond in place. I've used GFCI outlets on all the runs, and the Sol-Ark has ground fault and arc fault built in already. My PV arrays are earth grounded to dissipate charge, and help with any lightning surges, but I'm not sure if I should also do an earth ground from my bonded panel? I very much have an "interruptable power supply" and I'm wondering if I need earth grounding on the electrical side, or if the built-in safety protocols of my inverter and breakers is sufficient to cutoff power in the event of a ground or arc fault in the system. I've been running without the earth ground on the electrical side for a few days now, everything is equipment grounded, and it all seems to work great, but safety is my priority. The office/shipping container will not be moved, so adding a ground rod wouldn't be a challenge, it's just whether or not I get additional safety from having one on the panel.

No sub panels in the system, just one main panel. I'm also probably out of the jurisdiction of any code requirements, but again, if it's as simple as adding a ground rod connected to my bonded main panel that would be easy to do. Thanks in advance, this forum is amazing!

Back