diy solar

diy solar

how to calculate panel size for powering multiple greenhouse DC fans

zack6736

A friend has a greenhouse and wants to install multiple fans inside to move air, but doesn't want to use an inverter or batteries, just wants to power the fans directly off the solar panels so they run only during the day. My question is how to calculate the size of a panel array based on how many fans he'll be running. Thanks in advance.

A friend has a greenhouse and wants to install multiple fans inside to move air, but doesn't want to use an inverter or batteries, just wants to power the fans directly off the solar panels so they run only during the day. My question is how to calculate the size of a panel array based on how many fans he'll be running. Thanks in advance.
Panels have a volt and amp rating. If they are DC fans, then the math is easy. If they are ac motors, it is harder to do. Could do grid tied micros. Might be hard if 120v motors. But if multiple fans, you can put half the motors on each circuit.

He's going for DC fans, do you just add up the watts each fan draws and make sure the panels make more than the watts needed and ignore the volts?

You will need a east west array or something like that to egt even power all day. I've used CHEAP standard 120V to 12V LED switching power supplies to provide power. These can be used with arrays 80V and up. Save one fan for the power supplies. I run most of a whole house right off array power.

Back