diy solar

diy solar

How hot is too hot?

SoakedUp

Solar Enthusiast
For electronics(inverters, mppt controllers, etc.) to start seeing negative affects…while in storage?

I’m trying to set up a shipping container in so cal desert with all my solar equipment that sees summer temps of 120F. I recorded 130F in the container last summer inside the container before any shading , insulation, or air transfer/ac.

I’ve now fully shaded the top, fully insulated 8ft of the container where the batteries are located, set up air transfer fans and also a 12k btu AC. I Still need to shade the sides, but I plan to have no sun hitting the metal walls of the container before summer hits. The goal is to keep it below 90F, but I’m honestly not sure it’s going to be enough. I’m also not sure my system will keep the AC running long enough during the day.

If it comes down to it I’m going to pull the batteries which is simple enough and move them to my primary house in San Diego. All of the victron equipment will have to stay though since it’s bolted to a wall and would be too much hassle to move. Things like a multiplus, smart shunts, multiple mppts, pheonix inverters, and some other electronics. At what temp do these electronics start getting damaged from sitting in heat when powered off?

Your kit "should" have "operating" and "storage" temperatures lurking in the manual somewhere.

I would try to keep within the operating range even when powered off, but in theory at least, staying within the storage limits should not have a significant effect upon equipment life.

The components most affected would be the electrolytic capacitors which will dry out more quickly when it's a wee bit warm.

As with all these things YMMV.

EDIT 90F is "only" 32C our daytime ambient is forecast to be 36C today.
130F = 54C I would think your gear would be fine as far as storage is concerned, maybe not running if it's that hot.

Our inverters and batteries all run at ambient, well-ventilated and shaded in our car-port with a thick green hedge preventing direct sun getting to the gear. I've seen no issues with overheating but we don't run the batteries hard.

Last edited:
Well the multiplus has an operating range of -40 to 140F. Seems pretty warm for operation but maybe it will all be fine for a month or so of those hot temps.

Victron is one of the few companies that give you output ratings based on inverter temp.

The inverter wont really be bothered by high temps of 90-100*, other than the derating, but no "damage" really.

Batteries are what will see degradation from heat. Even 90*, they will degrade faster than if kept at 75*. This is why CurrentConnected is starting to make an Insulated Battery rack, with mini-splits built in.

Victron is one of the few companies that give you output ratings based on inverter temp.

The inverter wont really be bothered by high temps of 90-100*, other than the derating, but no "damage" really.

Batteries are what will see degradation from heat. Even 90*, they will degrade faster than if kept at 75*. This is why CurrentConnected is starting to make an Insulated Battery rack, with mini-splits built in.
From what I can find online it looks like 120F is where things like circuit boards and other electronic related equipment (other than batteries) starts to suffer.

Back