diy solar

diy solar

How to charge a dead liFePo

Kcdaniels

I have a new 200 amp hour battery that I drained down to 0 volts ...accidentally lol..I do not have a charger for it other than a regular battery charger for lead acid....can I "wake" up the bms with the lead acid charger ?...Without damage ?
I was going to recharge using my solar Victron charge controller but with 0 voltage that seems out now?

Is your lead acid battery charger one of the old transformer based? If so it can be used to wake up the BMS by using it for a few minutes. The new smart chargers may not recognize there is a battery needing to be charged.

Is your lead acid battery charger one of the old transformer based? If so it can be used to wake up the BMS by using it for a few minutes. The new smart chargers may not recognize there is a battery needing to be charged.
Thank you...its a older one but don't know if its transformer or not...but will try it for a few minutes and see

Thank you...its a older one but don't know if its transformer or not...but will try it for a few minutes and see
Well guess I don't have the older style charger.. Want wake it up.

I use this one. It has worked great for me.

Do you have a jump starter? a power supply? something else which can provide 12V? Should be sufficient to wake the BMS.

To limit the current (it might start charging) just add a 5-10ohm resistor in series. Even a halogen bulb would work, since you only need to wakeup the BMS.

I have a 0-60v, 5amp power supply and I think they should be standard equipment for anyone using batteries with a BMS.

Last edited:
I have a 0-60v, 5amp power supply and I think they should be standard equipment for anyone using batteries with a BMS.
I went out and got a cheap one after buying my first liFePO4 battery just in case the BMS tripped on low voltage. It may never see use. I understand that some of the LiFePO4 chargers do have a BMS activation feature.

Back