diy solar

diy solar

how to claim federal tax rebate/credit for DIYers?

pookguy88

so I'm planning out a system that I plan to DIY, I understand there's a 30% tax credit/rebate on most, if not all, equipment (panels, batteries, inverter, etc.)

my question is, how do you actually claim this credit as a DIYer? Just buy the stuff and show the receipt to the IRS? or do you have to prove it's been installed? if so, how do you do that? I'm assuming all the DIY work has to be permitted?

It is a tax credit, not a rebate. If you have no tax liability there is nothing to credit.

Just add up all of your receipts and enter that number on the correct line when you do your taxes. Keep the receipts for if you get audited. I would expect during an audit they would want to see proof the system is installed and working.

As for permitting. That is entirely dependent on where you live.

Form 5695. Take a picture of your display showing pv production going to load, battery, grid. Have the camera put a date on the picture.

This will be our second year for taking the credit. We did not have to take photos of the gear just have the receipts. My taxes are fairly complex and drift across a couple states so I have them done.

We started ours last year, and added on quite a bit this year. As you move forward with your project you can take the credit with the upgrades. If you have your taxes done by someone ask them. If you do them yourself document yourself to the moon, they did not hire those 85,000 new IRS guys to audit the 1% they hired them to go after the middle class, or what is left of it.

Back