diy solar

diy solar

how to fast charge a lifepo4 battery?

jasonevil

Hello guys, one more time I want to thank every person who took the time to help me when I started my project of a small solar system for my family in Cuba, Now they have an energy backup, and it's working amazingly.

My next question and forgive me for my ignorance, for example, a Tesla or a Chevy Bolt, supports fast charging, I bought a small electric car, with a max speed of 35 mph for my family, but regular charging is going to take more than 5 hours.

Is there a change to integrate fast charging or fast charging the batteries taking it off the vehicle?

I don't have the Lifepo4 batteries yet because the vehicle comes with Lead acid, making sure to do the research before buying the batteries.

Thank you.

PS. this vehicle includes a range extender using gasoline to charge de battery, could this affect the lifepo4 battery?

Lead acid batteries shouldn't be charged at high rates. They will be damaged.

A fast charge for lead acid batteries is 5 hours. A healthier charge that will help the batteries last longer is 10 hours.

Lead acid batteries shouldn't be charged at high rates. They will be damaged.

A fast charge for lead acid batteries is 5 hours. A healthier charge that will help the batteries last longer is 10 hours.
I want to fast charge lifepo4 batteries, I gonna replace the lead acid

PS. this vehicle includes a range extender using gasoline to charge de battery, could this affect the lifepo4 battery?
Fast charging for cars is lithium ion cobalt variety that has fire risk. Lifepo4 for solar is slow charging (5 hours) and much lower fire risk. You can shorten the charge to 3.3 hours without much degradation. 2 hours is possible (if rated fir that), but is hard on the battery, and I wouldn't recommend higher than 80%.

You need to check the charge voltage of the REX, and compare that to charge voltage of the proposed battery.

You can typically charge LiFePO4 at a 1C rate, so you can full charge a battery in 1 hour and be safe. In comparison, like @sunshine_eggo said, Lead Acid batteries can typically only be charged at a .2C rate to prevent damage, or a .1C rate for extended life cycle.

You will need equipment to support 1C charging though.

You can typically charge LiFePO4 at a 1C rate, so you can full charge a battery in 1 hour and be safe. In comparison, like @sunshine_eggo said, Lead Acid batteries can typically only be charged at a .2C rate to prevent damage, or a .1C rate for extended life cycle.

You will need equipment to support 1C charging though.

Most specs that I see show 0.5C charge and 1C discharge.

One option if you want to stay with lead, but need the fast charge is to go with "Pure Lead". Ie, Odyssey, Optima, and other pure-lead manufacturers. Costs more, but most support .5 to even 1C (2 hour / 1 hour) charges - *provided you are TIGHT with your charger specs on CV *. Their advanced manuals usually cover this.

Note: Back then, I only applied a 1C charge to my brand new Enersys pure-leads after about 5-10 conventional longer charges to complete the plate-formation.

Still, after say a weeks worth of 1C charges with pure-lead, you still want to do a normal, ie .2 to .3C longer charge like other agm's.

It is costly though to do it right. Good pure-leads are expensive, and so are the chargers with very tight specs, usually not found at the auto-parts store. It's a trip back in time, but just saying it can be done.

Last edited:
Back