diy solar

diy solar

Fast Charging a 100ah Lifepo4 Battery at 40amps

Easyyokefilms

Hello, I am relatively new to Lifepo4 Batteries. I have a Litime Mini 12v 100ah lifepo4 battery. I know they can be fast charged but should also not be charged above 0.5C rate. The manufacturer manual says recommended charging rate should be either 20Amps(0.2C) or 50Amps(0.5C) but they recommend 20Amps more. My problem with using 20Amps is that it takes 5hours to fully charge the battery at 20amps. That is alot of time that I dont really have. I want to get their 40Amps lifepo4 battery charger which according to my calculations will charge the battery under 2hours 30mins. This is still fair compared to 5hours. But I am also worried about the longevity of the battery life. Will charging at 40amps shorten the life span of the battery? I use and charge the battery atleast 3 to 4 times a week

Probably a little.

4 x 52 weeks x 10 year shelf life = 2080 charges
I suspect your batteries would age out before degrading because of .4C charge rate.
Oh, so you mean I would totally be fine with .4C charge rate. And if the battery lifespan will go down fast atall, it will be based on charge cycle degradation not 0.4C charge speed. Is that correct?

And if the battery lifespan will go down fast atall, it will be based on charge cycle degradation not 0.4C charge speed. Is that correct?
I was thinking that the battery calendar aging would be the limiting factor of your battery (at least more than charging at a higher charge rate at your projected 2080 charges at .4C).

My understanding is that lithium batteries are expected to last 10 years before experiencing 20% capacity degradation ( the standard for end of life measurement).

I was thinking that the battery calendar aging would be the limiting factor of your battery (at least more than charging at a higher charge rate at your projected 2080 charges at .4C).

My understanding is that lithium batteries are expected to last 10 years before experiencing 20% capacity degradation ( the standard for end of life measurement).
Oh, I see. Thank you.

Charging every day to 80% might be better than every other day to 100%. The higher charge rate is harder on the battery the closer you get to 100%.

Charging every day to 80% might be better than every other day to 100%. The higher charge rate is harder on the battery the closer you get to 100%.
Exactly. And temperature related.

If you can reduce charge current above 90% and then again at 95% and don't charge fast if the cells are cold (which probably won't happen in Lagos!) then you will increase their longevity.

Exactly. And temperature related.

If you can reduce charge current above 90% and then again at 95% and don't charge fast if the cells are cold (which probably won't happen in Lagos!) then you will increase their longevity.
The charger is a LifePo4 battery charger. I thought the LifePo4 battery chargers are programmed to do that by itself

Charging every day to 80% might be better than every other day to 100%. The higher charge rate is harder on the battery the closer you get to 100%. charger is a LifePo4 battery charger. I thought the LifePo4 battery chargers are programmed to do that by itself
Hello, the charger I am using is a LifePo4 battery charger. And I thought they are already preprogrammed to reduce the current they put out as the battery is getting close to being full. What do you advice

The charger is a LifePo4 battery charger. I thought the LifePo4 battery chargers are programmed to do that by itself
Unless there is a comms link from the BMS to the charger I don't see how the charger will know the true SOC of the battery?

Back