diy solar

diy solar

How to get victron battery monitor and JBD BMS to read same %

The solution to your query is to charge the battery to 100% and allow BMV and BMS to sync to 100. Do that a couple times per month, or you'll be back here.
Yeah, but the BMS has NEVER shown 100% on the gauge
That's the issue me thinks.

Now I'm thinking I may need to hook up the Mk3 usb and check settings.
Maybe they are set a bit to low to get to 100%
I though cutoff was set at 28.4v but it may have been done at 27.2v

Yeah, but the BMS has NEVER shown 100% on the gauge
That's the issue me thinks.

Is it because you have NEVER fully charged the battery?

Now I'm thinking I may need to hook up the Mk3 usb and check settings.
Maybe they are set a bit to low to get to 100%
I though cutoff was set at 28.4v but it may have been done at 27.2v

28.4 should be fine provided you don't have excessive voltage drop. 27.2V will never hit 100%.

Is it because you have NEVER fully charged the battery?
Well, it did get fully charged while doing the initial top balance while on a bench.
But yes, I see what you are saying.

I need to be brave and get out the Victron USB dongle
I never did the initial settings as then, I didn't have one but the electrician who did the install and big wire connections did.

Well, it did get fully charged while doing the initial top balance while on a bench.
But yes, I see what you are saying.

Yep. Until the BMS sees the 16S @ 3.5V+, it's not going to show 100%.

I need to be brave and get out the Victron USB dongle
I never did the initial settings as then, I didn't have one but the electrician who did the install and big wire connections did.

Multiplus?

A new day.
Ran Genset and punched batteries up to 27.2 and float kicks in but as it's a sunny day, we still have 90 amps coming in from solar while Genset remains running
This has been going for over 30 minutes now

It seems at this stage the Midnite Classic 150 was set with a higher cutoff than the multiplus.
Will be interested to see if we get to 3.5v & 100% now.

Ok, so seems the Midnite classic and solar gets the batts to 100% and I hit sync when they did

Of interest is the multiplus seems to have a glitch where it won't go to bulk charge if batteries register higher than 26.??v
With Genset running it would put them on float.

Ok, so seems the Midnite classic and solar gets the batts to 100% and I hit sync when they did

So are the two devices in agreement now? Expect them to drift over time.

Of interest is the multiplus seems to have a glitch where it won't go to bulk charge if batteries register higher than 26.??v
With Genset running it would put them on float.

Thanks for that. I had no idea, and it explains some things I've experienced with my Quattro. My Lithium-NMC battery has "odd" voltage compared to lead-acid and LFP. Now I know to set the float way high to force bulk charging.

The passage of time can only make it worse. Battery monitors need to periodically be set to a known SoC. Victron states "a couple times a month."
You will never get Soc readings to agree unless each device usually exactly the sane methods to calculate and reset Soc. forget about it.

Back