diy solar

diy solar

How to Prevent Inverter from over-discharge AGM battery

BhamDan

I have read here (thanks) that you can't use a Victron Battery protector between a battery and an inverter. I need to prevent the inverter from draining an AGM battery below 50% DoD, so I need to cut it off at 11.95 or 12v. How do you accomplish that?

Does your inverter have Remote ON/OFF port so you can interface with the Victron BP switched port?

So you disconnect the inverter which is direct connected to the battery by using this connection on the BP. Got it. Thanks.

No, you will use the relay output port of the Victron BP to turn the inverter off when the batteries are too low, you should never disconnect/reconnect the inverter from the battery sue to high surge current
The Vctron BP is for disconnecting/Re connecting DC load that do not have big capacitor bank, it is not made for inverter.

Excert:
  • Delayed alarm output – the alarm output is activated if the battery voltage drops below the preset disconnect level for more than 12 seconds. Starting the engine will therefore not activate the alarm. The alarm output is a short circuit proof open collector output to the negative (minus) rail, max. current 50mA. The alarm output is typically used to activate a buzzer, LED or relay.

Last edited:
Which inverter do you have? Some inverters have settings to prevent over discharging a battery.

Back