diy solar

diy solar

How to properly connect uneven 21 solar panels

pgouv

I currently have 21 panels connected to an inverter.
The panels are 72 cell 235w with 51.8Voc.
Since they are mounted on wooden base with different tilt I am building a new steel pergola to install them there.
The inverter has two MPP trackers.
I do not know yet how they are connected but I will figure out since they aren't easily accessible now.
Since I am going to move them I am looking for an optimal connection.
I am almost sure that they connected are in series. The inverter (sunny boy 5000tl) has max 750V input and 15A for each area(A and B)
My question is since I have 21 panels they cannot be distributed evenly as if they were 20 or 22 for example. If they were 20 I would add 5 to each string. If they were 22 I would add 6+6 to zone A and 5+5 to Zone B.
Is there an optimal solution for this problem?
They are all the same.
1652165086361.png

If each MPPT tracker can handle 750V of PV input voltage then put 11S on one tracker and 10S on the other tracker.

If the combined max PV input voltage of both trackers is 750V then of course that won't work.

What is the Isc of the panels? If it's less than 8A then do 5S2P on each tracker and use the one leftover panel for decoration.

If the Isc is 5A or lower then you could do 7S3P on one tracker if one tracker allows for 4935W.

Plenty. 11 x 51.8Voc = 569.8Voc. Even at 125% that's only 712.25V. Still well under 750V.
Oops. Sorry ?

I don’t know what I was thinking but clearly I didn’t read… clearly. >embarrassed<

If each MPPT tracker can handle 750V of PV input voltage then put 11S on one tracker and 10S on the other tracker.

If the combined max PV input voltage of both trackers is 750V then of course that won't work.

What is the Isc of the panels? If it's less than 8A then do 5S2P on each tracker and use the one leftover panel for decoration.

If the Isc is 5A or lower then you could do 7S3P on one tracker if one tracker allows for 4935W.

I would put 11S and 10S but based on the page from the manual each MPPT has two inputs.
And at the end it says same quantity of PV modules connected in series.
So if I put 5/5/5/6 inputs of B wont be same.
lcs is 4.7V

If you have to use all 4 inputs then use 5 panels each. 20 panels. No way to use 21.

Do both inputs of each tracker have to be used? Can you use just one input per tracker?
Do you have to use both trackers? If so, do both trackers have to have the same number of panels?

If you have to use all 4 inputs then use 5 panels each. 20 panels. No way to use 21.

Do both inputs of each tracker have to be used? Can you use just one input per tracker?
Do you have to use both trackers? If so, do both trackers have to have the same number of panels?
Currently probably all are connected, I do not know how I will check the cabling.
I do not know if I have to use all inputs the manual doesn't specify that. According to the manual page that it is for each tracker but each string should have the same. I do not know how it is affected if not.

According to the manual page that it is for each tracker but each string should have the same. I do not know how it is affected if not.
Look inside and see how it’s connected. There was a recent mention that some unit actually was merely parallel internally.

If they are truly separate mppt then I can’t see how they could ever be ‘the same’ for example on two sides of a roof.

This somehow doesn’t make sense…

Email the company?

If you can use just one input per tracker and both trackers don't need to be the same then 11S in one input of one tracker and 10S in one input of the other tracker will work.

If you can use just one input of one tracker then 7S3P will work if one input can have nearly 5000W.

If you have to use both trackers and both inputs of each tracker then 5S in each input is your only choice.

Back