diy solar

diy solar

How to repair a battery

Ogre

So I received a 400AH 12V LifePo4 battery from a manufacturer in China. Fedex managed to drop it upside-down and the tape holding the cells together shifted.

The battery is set up as 4P4S 100Ah cells. That's four sets of four 100Ah cells welded in parallel. There are no studs on the cells.

Two of the busbars (the two at each end of the pack) are welded across four cells. The remaining three busbars are welded across eight cells each.

Their welds were insufficient and (at least) seven welds have broken because the blocks of batteries shifted.

They are improving their welding and are sending me another battery, but I'd like to not waste this one. Can anyone suggest the best solutions to salvage a $1400 battery?
Tap in studs?
Find a shop that can laser-weld?
Figure out some other way to weld them?

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 10.39.41 AM.png

If tapping is in the cards, can anyone tell me how deep to go? These cells look like they have a raised terminal pad so more than 6mm might be reasonable.

I'm in a similar situation and also curious. I had a 48v pack and the weld broke which made a 36v and a 12v pack. I bought BMS to salvage them but I'd really love to get them back together as one pack.

Finding a shop would be the best option, but they're few and far between. Talk to your local jewelers and see if their laser welders can do the job.

Back