diy solar

diy solar

How to wire 6 panels

Ghfalls

I’ve got 6 250 watt solar panels and just want to make sure I’m going to wire them correctly. I want to do two strings of three panels. Can I just use the 3-1 mc4 connectors to make the two strings and then use the 2-1 mc4 connectors so that there’s just two wires going into the charge controller. The panels are a touch over 8 amps each and the charge controller is a Victron 100v 50a Any input would be very helpful.

3S2P

If the Voc of the 3 panels in series is < 120V, 3S is fine. If these are 72 cell panels with a Voc around 45-50V, 3S is too high, and you should go 2S in most climates. 250W panels rated for about 8 amps sound like 60 cell panels, so 3S is probably fine.

For the 3S, you simply use the panel wires to "chain" them in a string and then connect the two strings with parallel connectors like this:

1688407438833.png

Thank you very much. Good thing I asked as I was going to do it differently.

3S2P

If the Voc of the 3 panels in series is < 120V, 3S is fine. If these are 72 cell panels with a Voc around 45-50V, 3S is too high, and you should go 2S in most climates. 250W panels rated for about 8 amps sound like 60 cell panels, so 3S is probably fine.

For the 3S, you simply use the panel wires to "chain" them in a string and then connect the two strings with parallel connectors like this:

View attachment 155536
This image is pretty helpful, thank you for posting it!

Back