diy solar

diy solar

24v panels to 12v battery.

Roop

Taken from the Renogy website: https://uk.renogy.com/renogy-rover-20-amp-mppt-solar-charge-controller/

6.How many watts can Renogy Rover 30 amp charge controller handle?

The Rover MPPT charge controller can work with standard off-grid 12/24V solar panels with high voltage or multiple panels with voltage up to 100V. And the maximum combined input solar power is 400W for a 12V battery system or 80W for a 24V system. In particular, this controller will significantly increase the efficiency of a solar system where the solar panel voltage is much higher than the battery voltage.

Is this saying you can use panels arrayed into 24v input but charging a 12v battery?

With MPPT SCC they have a specification for PV Voc they can handle as input and they will output appropriate battery charging voltage. Solar panels will have specifications for Voc, Vmp, Isc and Imp. (12,24v panels are not an actual panel voltage) The Rover you mention has a 100Voc PV input rating. This means that how you connect up your panels (parallel or series) can add voltage up to but not exceed that 100vDC limit. In practicality you also must allow for higher voltage from panels based on cold conditions because that 100Voc limit is a hard one that if you exceed you will destroy the SCC.

Example: You have 4-100w panels with a Voc of 22vDC. Connected in series they add up to 88Voc. Connected in parallel they are 22Voc. Connected 2S2P they are 44Voc

Is this saying you can use panels arrayed into 24v input but charging a 12v battery?
Yes. If you wire your panels either in series or parallel or combination of both your charge controller will lower the voltage and in turn raise the amperage to fit your batteries. JUST MAKE SURE you stay well below the 100v input of your renogy controller... look at the sticker on the back of your solar panels.

Sorry for the late response. Yes, there are 'some things' to take away from your replies that, as a noob, I'm not aware of.
I have my eye on modular expansion rather than a turnkey system so a grasp of the fundamentals is in my own interest.
Regards, all.

Back