diy solar

diy solar

Howto: Inverter AC out to NEMA L14-30 generator cable?

JamesTheCrow

Hi all!

I'd like to learn how to connect a split phase inverter's AC out to a NEMA L14-30 generator inlet of my transfer switch.

Context:
  • At the moment, I'm running two EF Delta Pros in split phase mode via the DVH (double voltage hub). In this setup, the DVH replaces a 240V gas generator and is plugged into the generator inlet of our house.
  • Since I'm building in redundancies, I want to get a split phase inverter and be able to connect it to my house's generator inlet in the same way.
  • I need to hook up an inverter using our house's transfer switch to circument my county's regulations: I have a permit for my transfer switch, but can't do a dedicated solar installation without pulling additional permits. The whole permitting and auditing can take up to a year (and even longer), since there's a shortage of auditors in our very rural area. Hence my decision to put all of our equipment in a non-permanent building (RV) and supply power via the transfer switch. Which, thankfully, is allowed in our county.

My expectation is that it could work like this:
  • Buy a short NEMA L14-30 extension cord
  • Clip off the generator-side plug
  • Connect the extension cord's L1, L2, G and N to the corresponding connections of the split phase inverter
  • plug in the generator-side plug of the existing NEMA L14-30 cable into extension cord and the other end into the transfer switch inlet
  • switch on inverter

Would that work? Am I missing anything?

Appreciate your input, folks.

James

In my setup what I did was first ran my inverter output wiring to a small breaker panel with a 30amp breaker, then to a L14-30 locking receptacle and box. If/when I need to back-feed my home's main electrical panel (with interlok kit and gen inlet box), I can plug the generator cable into each outlet and use my inverter as a "generator".

Last edited:
Back