diy solar

diy solar

HQST error 13?

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
Anyone with a HQST MPPT ever see this error (13)? It's not listed in the manual, and a Google search came up empty.

I'm not sure what exactly triggered it, I was installing a new panel cut-off switch and had just disconnected one of the PV lines when I noticed it. May have already been up there, but I don't think so. No, nothing was shorted or anything like that in the process. It was raining (dark and gloomy) so there was little PV production anyway. Had to reboot (power down) the controller to clear it, and all is well again. Just curious as to what it is and why it's not documented.

While I like HQST equipment for the price and their equipment has been working well for me (I have three 60A controllers), their CS has gone down hill. About a year ago, I would get answers to questions quickly. Recently though, they have not responded to any of my inquiries. One was asking about renaming the controllers (probably not possible) because two are located fairly close together and it's difficult to know which is which when using the app, but they never responded. I've also asked about this error too, but am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Just a FWIW in case anyone else comes across this error and finds this thread. HQST finally got back to me and they claimed error 13 means reverse PV input. Now I know the input was not reversed because it had been up and running before it happened. However, I think I may know what might have happened (assuming what they said is correct). The charge controller is common negative. I usually have the PV switch on the the positive cable. When I was going to replace it, I was also going to shorten the cables. But I cut the PV negative cable first. So my theory is that when I did that (and the positive was still connected), that it somehow caused the issue. Still can't quite wrap my head around how that could cause a reverse polarity condition with a common negative though. In any case, it has been fine since.

Oh, they also got back with me about renaming the controllers for the app. They said they are working on a solution. However, they said it will be based on Bluetooth signal strength. That won't help me because both controllers are right next to each other. So, what I did to solve the problem for me, is I changed the "light control delay time" to 5 on one and 10 on the other so I know which one I am connected to. Does not help me pick the right one to begin with, but better than nothing.

Back