diy solar

diy solar

Hurricane Solution

Majorkaos

I have a solar heater for my pool which means my roof has panels that support this. It does absolutely nothing to power my home. Therefore, I have a 8k gas generator that I can plug in to power critical loads. Hurricane Ian proved that the solution works, but not ideal as it is loud, requires a lot of gasoline and getting gas once the cans are dry is the worst experience. I think I have a solution based on watching Will's YouTube vids and others and would like anyone with an opinion to provide feedback.

I want to keep it temporary and am thinking that a large inverter (Sol-Ark 15k or EG4 18Kpv) coupled to a bank of EG4 Lifepower batteries can be charged using my generator and a Chargeverter without having to set up temporary solar panels. Long term is to go with panels but I am waiting on the next gen of panels to see what happens on the market. In the meantime, can anyone provide critical thinking to this dilemma and let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks much from Cape Coral!

A propane generator solution is far more cost effective in the situation you describe, likely 1/4 the cost of batteries, high power inverters.

A propane generator solution is far more cost effective in the situation you describe, likely 1/4 the cost of batteries, high power inverters.
Except that getting propane after a hurricane is even worse than getting gasoline.

In the meantime, can anyone provide critical thinking to this dilemma and let me know if I am missing anything?
If you don't have a regular use for batteries and an inverter, it is probably best to stick with the generator. You may go the rest of your life and never have another storm like Ian. Save the money and buy a pallet of gas cans.

Except that getting propane after a hurricane is even worse than getting gasoline.
Propane is typically in 250 gallon tanks which is part of a whole home generator installation, also there is never have to worry about the fuel going bad.

I have a solar heater for my pool which means my roof has panels that support this. It does absolutely nothing to power my home. Therefore, I have a 8k gas generator that I can plug in to power critical loads. Hurricane Ian proved that the solution works, but not ideal as it is loud, requires a lot of gasoline and getting gas once the cans are dry is the worst experience. I think I have a solution based on watching Will's YouTube vids and others and would like anyone with an opinion to provide feedback.

I want to keep it temporary and am thinking that a large inverter (Sol-Ark 15k or EG4 18Kpv) coupled to a bank of EG4 Lifepower batteries can be charged using my generator and a Chargeverter without having to set up temporary solar panels. Long term is to go with panels but I am waiting on the next gen of panels to see what happens on the market. In the meantime, can anyone provide critical thinking to this dilemma and let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks much from Cape Coral!

I'm about 30 minutes from Cape coral!

I guess the question I'd have for you is, what it the ultimate goal? Is it primarily for powering critical loads during a grid down situation? Is it eventually to go fully solar down the road (since you mentioned the next generation of panels)

You mentioned "large inverters", would your goal be to power the entire home during an event, or just the necessities?

As an example, after Ian, I was without power for 9 days. I have a critical loads panel, batteries, and enough solar to recharge the batteries. My critical loads stayed up during the entire 9 days. However, I also use the solar during normal operation too, to reduce my grid power consumption. so it's not a "temporary" setup like you discussed.

If I were doing similar, and wanted temporary.. I'd probably consider one of the portable "solar generators" like the blueyetti or goal zero solutions, with some solar panels stored in the garage. the nice thing about this is.. if you go camping, it makes an ultra-convenient setup for multiple purposes.

Anyway, all of that is to say: Give us some details on what your endgame is, and we can help you ask the right questions.

Also, since you are in cape coral.. there are a couple places around you the resell used panels. That's how I bought mine.

Is natural gas not an option. We have natural gas in our community and homes. We have considered this as well, since it is reliable, available, and won't go bad like gasoline.

diy solar

diy solar
Back