diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid EG4 18k grid tie questions

Wv lew

I purchased an eg4 18k. I have a question before I get it I hope to have resolved in my brain. If I don’t want to have net metering, is there a way to set it up so solar is prioritized to the house loads and then any extra goes to the batteries and if the batteries are full I don’t want it going to the grid.

I don’t want to mess with the grid and two way meter, and I’m hoping I can just turn it (the grid feed) off at some point and pay a low monthly fee to keep their services just in case my inverter or something Craps out.

Thanks I’m advance .

I purchased an eg4 18k. I have a question before I get it I hope to have resolved in my brain. If I don’t want to have net metering, is there a way to set it up so solar is prioritized to the house loads and then any extra goes to the batteries and if the batteries are full I don’t want it going to the grid.

I don’t want to mess with the grid and two way meter, and I’m hoping I can just turn it (the grid feed) off at some point and pay a low monthly fee to keep their services just in case my inverter or something Craps out.

Thanks I’m advance .
Yes you can select Zero export and set the inverter to self consumption and it will use solar, and battery first at all times. Grid would be the last option.

No the grid does not have to be connected. However, its nice to have the grid available as back up if solar does not recharge the batteries. The CT's allow the grid to be connected without having to worry about back feeding the grid.
The inverter can be set up to only use grid if the battery state of charge falls to low.

No the grid does not have to be connected. However, its nice to have the grid available as back up if solar does not recharge the batteries. The CT's allow the grid to be connected without having to worry about back feeding the grid.
The inverter can be set up to only use grid if the battery state of charge falls to low.
Understood, so it sound like it will Do Exactly What I want. That’s good!

Understood, so it sound like it will Do Exactly What I want. That’s good!
If you have an agreement with your utility you will be fine. If not and don't plan to, you be better off not connecting any grid to the grid port of the 18kpv. You can buy the Chargeverter to charge your batteries with grid and not worry of any export which is possible if not set up quite right. It's not all cut and dry that it never exports to grid. I am off grid, no wires hooked to grid port on 18kpv. No CT's hook up at all.

Last edited:
If you have an agreement with your utility you will be fine. If not and don't plan to, you be better off not connecting any grid to the grid port of the 18kpv. You can buy the Chargeverter to charge your batteries with grid and not worry of any export which is possible if not set up quite right. It's not all cut and dry that it never exports to grid. I am off grid, no wires hooked to grid port on 18kpv. No CT's hook up at all.
I don’t want to even involve the electric company. But I don’t wanna put something funky out on the grid either

Get a 18k
That’s what I have ordered. Said ships mid September but still hasn’t shipped yet. I just want to put it in line after meter before the breaker panel, but don’t want to mess with the power company. At all.

I just want to make sure the eg4 18k can utilize the grid if batteries or solar can’t supply load, but not send back to grid. Does anyone know if this is doable and has been done. I’d hate to send a voltage to the grid at some out of phase, I’m sure that wouldn’t make the power company or my inverter very happy.

I am in the same situation as you. I have the 18Kpv with 2 powerpro batteries on order.
I have a 30amp inlet box for portable generator to power a Chargeverter direct to powerpro and a 50amp inlet box wired to the generator input on the 18Kpv. 50amp extension cord to RV box with grid power when available to provide clean power if in a hurry to top off batteries in the event of approaching storm.

I am in the same situation as you. I have the 18Kpv with 2 powerpro batteries on order.
I have a 30amp inlet box for portable generator to power a Chargeverter direct to powerpro and a 50amp inlet box wired to the generator input on the 18Kpv. 50amp extension cord to RV box with grid power when available to provide clean power if in a hurry to top off batteries in the event of approaching storm.
Heard anything about your order?

Heard anything about your order?
Still showing backorder. I assume waiting for the certified batteries that now say expected to begin shipping Late-September.
In my case it’s fine as I am not ready to place them yet. I am doing an outside install and pouring a large step to have them above the grade around it with a cover. Hoping to keep dry and if heavy rain causes very localized flooding it will stay dry.

Just a little more on my setup. The Chargeverter has 4awg cables and the powerpro batteries have a 2/0awg cable. I will join them with a Polaris tap.
C5A0E971-A9E2-4D07-B1B2-914F7595B671.jpeg

Back