diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18k Consumption question

DigitalAdrenaline

I have 2 18Ks in parallel. It's working 95%. Production is great. Reliability has been great. Firmware 1919 is a massive improvement over 1717 (I missed 1818) for parallel systems. I'm a happy camper. Noting but good to say about SigSolar.

My last remaining issue is that I'm showing about 2/3 of my production going to consumption, but where the Inverters are located, there is no consumption. I have nothing connected to "LOAD" or "GEN" and no batteries (yet). I'm just taking pv and pushing it into the grid for net metering. Everything is in a barn without so much as lights on. My consumption should be zero.

I've tried my CTs in the inverters, I've tried only one set of CTs, and I'm currently outside the inverter where it pushes to the grid. All show substantial consumption. Consumption is also just inaccurate, because if I start charging the EV, the consumption shown doesn't change, and it definitely should. Consumption is consistent between the app, the EG4 monitoring website and on the inverters themselves. It's split about 55-45 between the inverters.

What happens if I just don't use the CTs at all? Or does anyone else have any thoughts? How is consumption calculated? I just want the readings to be correct before I start adding more complexity with batteries and a load and stuff.

I also had inconsistent readings until I moved the CT’s right under the main utility meter box. Just have a single 18k with whole home backup with feeder tap as per manual diagram 4.4 though and exporting all excess power to grid.

Last edited:
I also had inconsistent readings until I moved the CT’s right under the main utility meter box. Just have a single 18k with whole home backup with feeder tap as per manual diagram 4.4 though and exporting all excess power to grid.
Not ideal. I'm about 500 feet away. Too far for the CTs to reach and I'd need to trench them in so the critters don't chew them up. I'll keep trying to figure something out.

If you could DM your serial number for the inverters, I can take a look. CT's would need to be in place if selling back to the grid.

Can you send me a link to one? Are these devices that go around the lugs or wires or something? I know what a transformer is.

Back