diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18k PV help

CMA

(60) 445 bi-facial panels - 26,700
(2) EG4 18k PV inverters
(12) 48v EG4 Lifepower batteries

I have installed very many systems, grid-tie and off-grid. This is the first time installing the EG4 18k PV inverters.

The homeowner has asked me to wire this system as grid-tie only. The manual doesn't provide any detail for a grid-tie only system.
I have powered both inverters from a battery bus bar - running two sets 2/0 cable to each inverter.
There is nothing set up from the Load and nothing set up for Gen.

I have installed an MLO with (2) 200amp breakers - 1 for each inverter. From the MLO, a single set of wires, L1 L2 Neutral and Grid are routed to a Disconnect box on the Supply side of the homeowner's service panel. This is the same way I have wired multiple Growatt inverters, multiple EG4 6500s, etc., with no problems.

I have set the Parallel parameters for each inverter as is specified in the manual. Upon commissioning the inverters, the inverter shows the PV voltages, it shows Grid voltage, does not show battery voltage. The Basic settings are Export to Grid and 12kw. The inverters did nothing. No fans, no grid export.

I called Tech Support. On hold for over an hour. Finally left the homeowner explaining that hopefully I get some help later and would come back when I had answers. Finally got through to Tech Support after returning to the office. Explained the whole issue. They said they had to e-mail EG4 and would get back to me. Have heard nothing.

A couple hours ago, homeowner called and reported that the Slave inverter "just came on." It was delivering about 6kw to the Grid. But the Master inverter was doing absolutely nothing. I can't imagine the Slave was working without the Master - but that's what was going on.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
You have not setup battery comms and the default setting is for the inverter to look for battery comms otherwise it will not turn on.
Change battery type to lead.

You have not setup battery comms and the default setting is for the inverter to look for battery comms otherwise it will not turn on.
Change battery type to lead.
Really strange thing on the Batt comms. On the Advanced setup button, I made sure the Type was Lithium. Then, on the brand, it only shows a list. It has fields that say, Lithium_00, Lithium_01, Lithium_02, etc. I went through about all of them until Lithium_09 finally turned the Warning for Batt comm off. It never displayed a list like LifePower, GYLL, etc.

SS do have a list of battery manufacturers that corresponds to the selections.
But to save yourself fannying around for now and just get her up and running, choose lead and set absorb 55.5 to 56v and float 0.5 to 1v below it. This should get you up and running.

SS do have a list of battery manufacturers that corresponds to the selections.
But to save yourself fannying around for now and just get her up and running, choose lead and set absorb 55.5 to 56v and float 0.5 to 1v below it. This should get you up and running.
Yes. I thought I would do that. I'm guessing a firmware update will populate the correct list. Still not sure why everyone says to set Bulk at 55.5. That doesn't even bring the batts to a state of full charge. When I had lead acids, I had to set it at 58.4.

Yes. I thought I would do that. I'm guessing a firmware update will populate the correct list. Still not sure why everyone says to set Bulk at 55.5. That doesn't even bring the batts to a state of full charge. When I had lead acids, I had to set it at 58.4.
Yeah I'm hoping a firmware update will give us actual battery names at some point in time. Also with charging these batteries there is no need to beat them up at the top end of the charge cycle, so definitely treat them a little nicer and they will treat you way better than lead ever will.

Yeah I'm hoping a firmware update will give us actual battery names at some point in time. Also with charging these batteries there is no need to beat them up at the top end of the charge cycle, so definitely treat them a little nicer and they will treat you way better than lead ever will.
Update for everyone watching this thread and contributing. I went back to the customer's place this morning. BOTH inverters were now working - even though no adjustments had been made.

EG4 tech (not Signature Solar) - called while I was on-site. We tweaked some settings in charge and discharge, changed the batteries to lead and made the settings accordingly. He said "he strongly advised" me to update the firmware on the BATTERIES. He said that is what would make the Brand show up on the inverter. He said nothing about updating the firmware on the inverters.

Also, as I'm sure most of you know already, some of the settings on the Host inverter automatically change on the Slave - but not all. I believe it was the battery charge, discharge settings that did not update on the Slave, so we had to go through the Slave settings and update them. I guess on my next install, I'll not assume any of the settings on the Slave will automatically update when I change the Host settings.

I still have no idea what made the Host wake up and run today. So odd that the Slave ran, but the Host did not. But both are running flawlessly today and were consistently putting 24kw+ into the grid.

In our area of the country, this size system will reduce the homeowner's utility bill by about 400-450 per month (in best weather conditions).

Thanks to everyone who added to this thread! Very valuable info.

Back