diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Lithium + Lead Acid off grid system (Marine / RV /Tiny Home)

PopDBop

I just ran across this guy's YouTube channel who's come up with an intriguing hybrid Lithium/Lead Acid battery system for his sailboat. He's got some great points that makes sense for marine applications. But it got me thinkinkg about RV and tiny off grid house applications. He touts the strenghts of each type of chemistry as making up for the weaknesses of the other. He's made two videos on this concept, albeit not in deep technical depths (offers that on his Patreon)

Add Lead to your LIthium Battery Bank...

Add Lithium to your Lead Battery Bank...

As some of us are transitioning out of Lead Acid and AGM batteries to Lithium, a hybrid approach seems like a idea worth exploring. I've always just considered the two chemistries mutually exclusive. But he's worked out some of tehnicals of handling the different changing natures of each type of battery chemistry (which he appears to connect together in paralell). He covers topics such as balancing and BMS issues.

How would you guys suggest doing this on a small RV, tiny house, boat system -- say up to 2000 - 5000 Ah?

I just ran across this guy's YouTube channel who's come up with an intriguing hybrid Lithium/Lead Acid battery system for his sailboat. He's got some great points that makes sense for marine applications. But it got me thinkinkg about RV and tiny off grid house applications. He touts the strenghts of each type of chemistry as making up for the weaknesses of the other. He's made two videos on this concept, albeit not in deep technical depths (offers that on his Patreon)

Add Lead to your LIthium Battery Bank...

Add Lithium to your Lead Battery Bank...

As some of us are transitioning out of Lead Acid and AGM batteries to Lithium, a hybrid approach seems like a idea worth exploring. I've always just considered the two chemistries mutually exclusive. But he's worked out some of tehnicals of handling the different changing natures of each type of battery chemistry (which he appears to connect together in paralell). He covers topics such as balancing and BMS issues.

How would you guys suggest doing this on a small RV, tiny house, boat system -- say up to 2000 - 5000 Ah?
I have run a Hybrid LFP-FLA system for going on to 2 years now. The CG2 FLA's are on year 6 now. My system is parallel when in use. The trailers converter maintains the FLA bank when not in use. The LFP bank is managed by a ElectroDacus SBMS0 and 2 DSSR20's for the solar duties. A Kilovac contactor ties the two systems together. As a side note due to my choice in cable size, the FLA bank "Load" shares a bit on heavy loads. (Drip Coffee machine, Microwave)

int
I have run a Hybrid LFP-FLA system for going on to 2 years now. The CG2 FLA's are on year 6 now. My system is parallel when in use. The trailers converter maintains the FLA bank when not in use. The LFP bank is managed by a ElectroDacus SBMS0 and 2 DSSR20's for the solar duties. A Kilovac contactor ties the two systems together. As a side note due to my choice in cable size, the FLA bank "Load" shares a bit on heavy loads. (Drip Coffee machine, Microwave)
interested....can you send photos and links of parts needed to start with this project

I would really like an episode on that topic!
I saw the same video, and it look very nice and logic, but i’m not an expect like Will is!

Back