diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid - Professional Install + DIY Expansion

Ellis Redding

So I'm considering getting a roof mounted system. I really have no intention of installing my own roof mount system, so my thought was to just get a simple grid-tie system with Enphase Micro 8+ and some good panels.
The bids I have, contractors seem very reluctant to install the Enphase Solar Backup setup and want a bunch to move things around to accomodate it. My thought was to potentially do a modification eventually where the feed from the combiner box is sent to a solark inverter. and then I can bring in batteries or aditional panels at that point. Does this make sense? Anything I'm overlooking?

Enphase is MicroInverters. Sol-ark includes an inverter. AC connected PV into Sol-Aark is not hard, but not trivial either.

Have a Sol-Ark Solar only system installed professionally. Skip the Enphase portion. Easy to add DIY battery later (may have code issues). Easy to add panels later (if the installer leaves open an MPPT connection).

Crap, that makes a ton of sense but is a totally different direction.
What kind of code issue would you face with a battery? Do you mean a DIY Built battery or just a DIY Installed battery with certs?

Crap, that makes a ton of sense but is a totally different direction.
What kind of code issue would you face with a battery? Do you mean a DIY Built battery or just a DIY Installed battery with certs?
In most places you can DIY install ESS with UL9540. Not all places however and it may preclude getting all rebates and incentives.

I think a lot of people here would prefer more mid panels vs fewer “good” panels.

You can save some money with non Enphase micros. A lot of us have drank the HoyMiles koolaid.

AC coupling is far from rocket engineering. The hard part is convincing contractor to do it/listen to feedback on how you want things laid out to allow it. You need some middling boss skills to force the issue.

So I'm considering getting a roof mounted system. I really have no intention of installing my own roof mount system, so my thought was to just get a simple grid-tie system with Enphase Micro 8+ and some good panels.
The bids I have, contractors seem very reluctant to install the Enphase Solar Backup setup and want a bunch to move things around to accomodate it. My thought was to potentially do a modification eventually where the feed from the combiner box is sent to a solark inverter. and then I can bring in batteries or aditional panels at that point. Does this make sense? Anything I'm overlooking?
This is much easier and half the cost of Enphase.

1-Line_Sample_Hoymiles_AC_Coupled.png

I'm working on doing something similar by getting contractor quotes for panels + Tigo DC optimizers + string inverter. Once they finish the job and sign off/get grid feedback setup, I plan to add the batteries that would be cheaper than them installing it. My main reasoning is I can't get on the roof to set this up and also have them deal with permitting etc.

I'm trying to get them to match Tesla's price per watt quote or atleast come close to it.

Back