diy solar

diy solar

I am thinking of backing this project? what do you think?

brandnewb

Going for serious. starting as newb

An open source BMS.

I am not qualified to determine if it has any merit or not but I so much would like it to.

I am considering supporting this project with some donations if they are at all interested in that.

But before I offer that to them can some of the more experienced people here please give it a quick glance as to be able to tell wether this is something worthwhile or not?

I, and the world at large, would be grateful

I can’t see anything unique with any of those products, not sure what benefits they will provide.

If you are looking for a proven, excellent open source BMS you should look at the ZEVA units. Ian isn’t even asking money for his work, just gifted the designs to the open community.

I can’t see anything unique with any of those products, not sure what benefits they will provide.

If you are looking for a proven, excellent open source BMS you should look at the ZEVA units. Ian isn’t even asking money for his work, just gifted the designs to the open community.
as did stewart..

@brandnewb , proven, well matured, fully opensource both in hardware and software.
hands on, open to suggestions, canbus comms implemented

yes, many open source minded people like my self do not care about the money. But money sure can help with boosting projects into the next level

wow, I am really drawn by openinverters.org I have not even scanned the posts there but already my heart is saying. yes yes do it do it.

I need to take it one step slower though. Ohh boy the amount of times I have rushed into something without knowing the consequences.
sumbeling noise in the background. ...... Hold my beer guys.

Hold on a minute longer please I need to help my toddler off the potty.

Did I say consequences out loud just now? hmm strike that please.

Anyway I will look into all suggestions made so far.

Btw. who of you has gotten my beer?

ok so my humor is not universally shared. That is such a bummer.

But then what should be universally shared is that I am now presenting a 5K e for the best open source project out there.

just which one is the best? you tell me please?

I get a chuckle out of most things you post ?

Have you read the thread by @BiduleOhm on his BMS? His approach has been very thorough and the design is sound. He is very close to working prototype.

If i was looking to support something new with the view to taking it to market i would be in his inbox in a flash.

Well, honestly I am quite inexperienced when it comes to making donations.

I have made quite a few to open source projects before but they were all really mature.
OpenWrt and FreeBSD more specifically.
And because of this maturity I just made a few payments and trusted that they know beter than I ever will how to spend that money.

For an open source BMS (or inverter for that matter) the realm seems less mature as far I can tell. But please accept my apologies if I am mistaken. I am just not qualified to value anything I am afraid. Hence me reaching out to you guys to help spot the interesting projects.

For open source projects that seem in a more early phase of development I might propose a feature bounty system. In where I can dump all I have to offer to, quite selfish I'll admit, also make sure the project takes into account my interests. But the rest of the world can do the same of course.

I guess it boils down to the amount of contributors that could theoretically be persuaded to add a requested feature because they have the ability.
I am sadly only like a todler that can throw some dollars around not knowing anything at where at. I am so sorry guys about my ignorance.

Well, it's certainly comendable that one is not looking for money. But it's like I said. Sometimes some is needed to push a project through one of those glass ceilings. And if one is not open to a push like that then that might mean development might become slower than it could be.

I have now taken a bit of a less hallf @@sed look at openinverters.org. especially their shop.

I am getting the impression those are products relatated to EV cars are they?
I am thinking more along the lines of charging ones battery array to begin with. Sure I am open to also thinking about actual inverters as without those we still would not get very far.

suggests 10 contributors and one automated build operator.

Also they seem from not all from one corner of the globe. Which to me looks like a good thing.
Apearantly they also have boards that I should be looking into as I have not done so yet.

Back