diy solar

diy solar

Solar consulting & equipment ordering for DIYers

CharlesM99

Hi all,
Please remove this if its not allowed.

I've been designing solar systems and making plan sets for 10+ years now, and I am looking to branch out a bit. So I was considering a consultation service for DIYers that want to install their own system, but could use some experienced input with equipment selection, design, production estimates & ordering equipment.

Basically, I'd like to offer people some or all of these services:
- Help selecting the equipment that is going to work best for their use case, and any other relevant design advice
- Production estimation for their system design
- Help with filling out permit & utility applications as needed
- Help with ordering equipment.
- Remote consultation time with experienced electricians to look through the project and provide input on the simplest, code compliant way to install
- Remote consultation time with experienced roof PV installers to provide input on how best to install the roof side of the project

I could set up accounts with the major PV equipment distributors (CED greentech, Bay Wa.re, Soligent, anyone else?), and with enough volume those suppliers give discounts, so I'd be able to pass on the discounted equipment pricing.

I know project solar and unbound solar do something similar, but it seems like they really mark up the equipment costs to make their profits.

What do you all think? Anything you'd want or expect from a service like this?

How would you keep your customers from finding out about this free forum?
I wouldn't want to! I'd probably even provide a link to this site as a great resource to learn, the more people know about solar energy the better.
But if someone wants to pay me to make plans for them, or design their project in Aurora to get a production estimate then I'm happy to help.

I think a lot of people here want to take charge of 100% of their project and really DIY every single task related to their project. But that is not the case for everyone.
For example, an electrician might have a hard time paying a solar install company for the electrical work, but they don't necessarily want to spend all the time to learn about all the solar equipment available out there. Or someone might want a little bit of solar and backup power for some 120V loads, but might not know what their equipment choices are for that.

I'd be interested in looking at your end product.
Anything in particular you're interested in?

I've been designing solar systems and making plan sets for 10+ years now, and I am looking to branch out a bit. So I was considering a consultation service for DIYers that want to install their own system, but could use some experienced input with equipment selection, design, production estimates & ordering equipment.
Seems like there is a niche market for what you are describing/offering. I've seen several posts over the past couple of years asking for similar type of help. Fact is, there is really no semi-DIY solutions for Solar. The typical Solar or Electrical contractor only offers expensive, full turn-key solutions that are limited to the 1 or 2 brands they sell. On the other hand DIY requires a number of specialized skills as well as tools, time and the desire to put forth the effort. A difficult or impossible combination for many.

There is a need.

But... I'm an electrical PE and I wouldn't touch offering that kind of service with a 10' pole. There is no way you could properly insure yourself, and charging enough to make it financially viable would be a challenge. For example, my billing rate is $250-300/hour. I would need to add at least 20% to cover small projects, which quickly places you above where most people's value threshold would be.

Greenlancers do it, but that is a different game. Doing it as a retiree is another path, but even then you have some risks.

There is a need.

But... I'm an electrical PE and I wouldn't touch offering that kind of service with a 10' pole. There is no way you could properly insure yourself, and charging enough to make it financially viable would be a challenge. For example, my billing rate is $250-300/hour. I would need to add at least 20% to cover small projects, which quickly places you above where most people's value threshold would be.

Greenlancers do it, but that is a different game. Doing it as a retiree is another path, but even then you have some risks.
Yeah, I'd considered the issues there. I think depending on the service, there would have to be a solid contract in place very clearly stating that the homeowner/installer is taking full responsibility for all aspects of the installation. Very valid point.

Seems like there is a niche market for what you are describing/offering. I've seen several posts over the past couple of years asking for similar type of help. Fact is, there is really no semi-DIY solutions for Solar. The typical Solar or Electrical contractor only offers expensive, full turn-key solutions that are limited to the 1 or 2 brands they sell. On the other hand DIY requires a number of specialized skills as well as tools, time and the desire to put forth the effort. A difficult or impossible combination for many.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There isn't much in between full DIY and full turn key install.

Yeah, I'd considered the issues there. I think depending on the service, there would have to be a solid contract in place very clearly stating that the homeowner/installer is taking full responsibility for all aspects of the installation. Very valid point.
As a business we never touch residential condominiums for a reason: you can be sued for a very long time (and loose) based on changing requirements since your design. A contract doesn't prevent you from being sued and having a big legal bill. Residential owners that want to save 25% by becoming their own general contractor is a tough market to be in.

That said, I am 100% into saving 35% by working with an electrician to do what they are good at, a roofer for what they can do, and gluing everything left together by myself so I end up with a system that I am in full control of.

Back