diy solar

diy solar

solar panel canopy for pool equipment mount to concrete slab

vsman

This is a project to expand my solar system.
Working backwards- bought 6 panels to build a cover over my pool equipment- west facing wall in the picture you see. equipment Concrete slab is 42" x 108" x 4".

Of the many ideas I have been working through- install 4x4 post bases on the 4 corners of the concrete equipment slab and use that to mount the panels. Question-

- any prior examples of 4x4 posts on a concrete slab? (eliminates me having to dig a 3 foot hole in the ground)
- Possibility of the panels and posts acting as a moment arm and tilting over?

any prior examples of 4x4 posts on a concrete slab?
Search for "4x4 post concrete anchor." Some have a rebar bottom that you could drill and epoxy into your slab, others have holes that you drill and bolt to your slab.

Possibility of the panels and posts acting as a moment arm and tilting over?
Of course. Wind would be one reason that would happen. Decent anchoring and diagonal bracing are your pals. I see you are in Houston, so assume maybe 300-400 pounds of side force per panel (at the panel), or do the math for your highest (un)expected wind.

Regarding uplift for our hurricane winds. See picture attached - it is a closed area. Protected from wind on all sides by the fence and house. Yes- best practice would be some wedge anchors for the back posts on the concrete. I can even use a L bracket to attach the structure to the foundation.

Back