diy solar

diy solar

Victron/SOK System

jdanderson

I recently entered the world of solar with my first DIY system.
We bought 30 acres of land in northeast Texas and we are building a 4000 sq ft shop and a 1600 sq ft house. Both will be powered from our system which is housed in a solar equipment room in the shop building. The shop will be filled with wood working equipment, much of it 240v machines.

Components from Currnet Connected:
2x Victron 10kw Quattro inverters in split phase
2x Victron MPPT charge controllers 450v 200 amp
Lynx Power In
Lynx Shunt
Lynx Distributor
Cerbo GX and 7" monitor
3 server racks of SOK 48v 100AH batteries (75,000 watt-hour bank)
56 Aionrise 330watt panels
I picked up 14 EG4 BrightMount racks for the ground mounted panels from Signature Solar, which is an hour from our Texas property. I also got a 48v 22amp charger and some Midnite Solar SPD's from Signature Solar.

I framed out our solar equipment room and mounted the charge controllers, inverters, and Lynx components on the wall. Once I had it all configured with the cables provided by Current Connected, I assembled the three SOK battery racks.
Currently I have 16 of the 56 panels deployed on temporary ground mounts. I assembled four of the EG4 racks (four panels per rack) and set them on 4x4 pressure treated temporary bases. This Spring I will pour four concrete piers per rack using 10" sonotube.
I set a 200 amp main panel, being fed by the two independent inverter outputs so I can run both 120v and 240v circuits.
I have 2" conduit runs underground from the solar room to the utility room in the house and to a central location in the wood working shop. Sub panels will be installed at those locations soon.We are currently powering outside and inside lighting (LED's), a refrigerator, and various tools we are using for construction.
We are also using a commercial induction cooktop, and an 1800 watt space heater inside our tent. It has not been a problem to power our currently minimal loads with 16 panels. Running the space heater overnight (as well as outdoor lights and the refrigerator) reduces our battery bank by about 10 or 12%. Our battery bank has been able to charge fully during the daylight hours, even on overcast days.

We live in Colorado and are making week long trips to our property about once a month. Progress is slow, but we are making progress.
I still have wire management to do and the system looks pretty sloppy as of now. I'll get all of that cleaned up on my next trip down.

I've been looking at the EG4 Split System/Heat Pump units that run off DC/AC hybrid input.
I plan to install a 24,000 BTU split system during the last week of January. I'll put it on 4 or 6 of the TaleSun 400w bifacial panels that Signature Solar has for $108 each right now. I'll run a 240v circuit from my main Victron system to supplement its operation overnight.

Solar 12.jpgSolar 10.jpgSolar 09.jpgSolar 08.jpgSolar 07.jpgSolar 02.jpgSolar 01.jpgSolar 11.jpgSolar 06.jpgSolar 04.jpgSite03  DEC2023.jpgSite02  DEC2023.jpgSIte 05 DEC2023.jpgSite AUG2023.jpg

Attachments

• Solar 08.jpg
    Solar 08.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
You are correct. The photo is a little bit deceiving. I added spacer blocks to the wall panel, and the 4/0 cables run behind the spacer blocks, and behind the Lynx components.
The inverter cables are all the same length, and the MPPT cables are all the same length. They were pre-fabricated by Current Connected.
In the photo, they seem to be different because of the hidden routing.

The battery cables are also all the same length to the Lynx Power In.

Good catch, though! I appreciate the input, especially if it were wrong and I needed to fix it.

Nice! Dual 450/200! Call me jelly!

The only concern I have is your inverter DC cabling. Victron is very specific about parallel inverter DC cabling being the same length. Since you're in split phase, this doesn't matter as much.

I'm assuming the battery cabling to the bus bar is all the same length.

Last edited:
Very impressive! Although for that many panels would it have been cheaper to get a ground mount system that allows mounting more panels? Like iron ridge?

I started looking at various ground mounts and the costs were surprisingly high. I don't think I knew about Iron Ridge at the time.
I spent just under $4000 for EG4 BrightMount racks for 56 panels. Since I live in Colorado and have limited time in short trips to our Texas property, the Bright Mounts are quick to assemble and I didn't have to have the whole thing built and done all at once.
If they don't hold up over time, I'll look at replacing them with something like Iron Ridge.
Very impressive! Although for that many panels would it have been cheaper to get a ground mount system that allows mounting more panels? Like iron ridge?

I started looking at various ground mounts and the costs were surprisingly high. I don't think I knew about Iron Ridge at the time.
I spent just under $4000 for EG4 BrightMount racks for 56 panels. Since I live in Colorado and have limited time in short trips to our Texas property, the Bright Mounts are quick to assemble and I didn't have to have the whole thing built and done all at once.
If they don't hold up over time, I'll look at replacing them with something like Iron Ridge.

I have a bright Mount rack. Still in the box, but I’m curious as to your mounting method, and why you chose it?

one pic has 4-2 x 6’s? Then the other pic it looks like 6 x 6?

looks like you settled on 3- 6 x 6’s, then 2- 6 x 6’s cross wise with a 2 x 8 on top? Everything pinned into the ground with rebar?

does the 2x on top have enough meat for the bolts?

I was thinking 3 screw piles and a strip of 8 x 8’s To bolt the rack to.

I have a bright Mount rack. Still in the box, but I’m curious as to your mounting method, and why you chose it?

one pic has 4-2 x 6’s? Then the other pic it looks like 6 x 6?

looks like you settled on 3- 6 x 6’s, then 2- 6 x 6’s cross wise with a 2 x 8 on top? Everything pinned into the ground with rebar?

does the 2x on top have enough meat for the bolts?

I was thinking 3 screw piles and a strip of 8 x 8’s To bolt the rack to.
This spring I'll be pouring four 10" concrete piers for each rack. I've got 10" sonotubes and I'll bore the holes with a 12" auger on my tractor.

My current wood racks are just a temporary deployment.
I used five 8' 4x4 posts for the structure, and I mounted a 1 1/4 x 6" deck board on top to give the BrightMount feet solid engagement for all four screw holes. Three of the five are outriggers with more length in the back than the front. The other two are spliced end to end to give me 16' length.

I recently entered the world of solar with my first DIY system.
We bought 30 acres of land in northeast Texas and we are building a 4000 sq ft shop and a 1600 sq ft house. Both will be powered from our system which is housed in a solar equipment room in the shop building. The shop will be filled with wood working equipment, much of it 240v machines.

Components from Currnet Connected:
2x Victron 10kw Quattro inverters in split phase
2x Victron MPPT charge controllers 450v 200 amp
Lynx Power In
Lynx Shunt
Lynx Distributor
Cerbo GX and 7" monitor
3 server racks of SOK 48v 100AH batteries (75,000 watt-hour bank)
56 Aionrise 330watt panels
I picked up 14 EG4 BrightMount racks for the ground mounted panels from Signature Solar, which is an hour from our Texas property. I also got a 48v 22amp charger and some Midnite Solar SPD's from Signature Solar.

I framed out our solar equipment room and mounted the charge controllers, inverters, and Lynx components on the wall. Once I had it all configured with the cables provided by Current Connected, I assembled the three SOK battery racks.
Currently I have 16 of the 56 panels deployed on temporary ground mounts. I assembled four of the EG4 racks (four panels per rack) and set them on 4x4 pressure treated temporary bases. This Spring I will pour four concrete piers per rack using 10" sonotube.
I set a 200 amp main panel, being fed by the two independent inverter outputs so I can run both 120v and 240v circuits.
I have 2" conduit runs underground from the solar room to the utility room in the house and to a central location in the wood working shop. Sub panels will be installed at those locations soon.We are currently powering outside and inside lighting (LED's), a refrigerator, and various tools we are using for construction.
We are also using a commercial induction cooktop, and an 1800 watt space heater inside our tent. It has not been a problem to power our currently minimal loads with 16 panels. Running the space heater overnight (as well as outdoor lights and the refrigerator) reduces our battery bank by about 10 or 12%. Our battery bank has been able to charge fully during the daylight hours, even on overcast days.

We live in Colorado and are making week long trips to our property about once a month. Progress is slow, but we are making progress.
I still have wire management to do and the system looks pretty sloppy as of now. I'll get all of that cleaned up on my next trip down.

I've been looking at the EG4 Split System/Heat Pump units that run off DC/AC hybrid input.
I plan to install a 24,000 BTU split system during the last week of January. I'll put it on 4 or 6 of the TaleSun 400w bifacial panels that Signature Solar has for $108 each right now. I'll run a 240v circuit from my main Victron system to supplement its operation overnight.

View attachment 189117View attachment 189118View attachment 189119View attachment 189120View attachment 189123View attachment 189124View attachment 189125View attachment 189126View attachment 189127View attachment 189128View attachment 189129View attachment 189130View attachment 189131View attachment 189132
Very nice. I'm looking at doing something almost identical to your system. I'm still not sure whether to go with the Quattro or MultiPlus2. Did you consider at all going with the MultiPlus2 5kVA? Obviously you would need 4 to match the power of the 2 Quattro 10kVA units. The MultiPlus2 would use half the operating wattage, to output the same power as using Quattro units. Not sure what else is really different, other than the Quattro having an extra AC input. Were you planning to get power from the grid as well?

Very nice. I'm looking at doing something almost identical to your system. I'm still not sure whether to go with the Quattro or MultiPlus2. Did you consider at all going with the MultiPlus2 5kVA? Obviously you would need 4 to match the power of the 2 Quattro 10kVA units. The MultiPlus2 would use half the operating wattage, to output the same power as using Quattro units. Not sure what else is really different, other than the Quattro having an extra AC input. Were you planning to get power from the grid as well?
Hi Jonathan,
I am completely off-grid, so no tie in.
I did not research the MultiPlus inverters. I was looking for a robust off grid system that could power a wood working shop and a 1600 sq ft house.
Current Connected had a complete system, which is what I went with after seeing a similar system installed by Riley and Courtney at Ambition Strikes on YouTube.
This system gives me 20kw continuous split phase for both 120vac and 240vac circuits.
I only have a portion of my panels installed currently, but will end up with just over 25kw PV input capacity [4 strings in series 360w x 8 for one MPPT 450/200, and 2 strings 360w x 8 plus 2 strings 400w x 10 for the other MPPT 450/200 charge controller].

Looks AMAZING :love::love::love::love::love::love:

@CCJ @JR11 @heivoltage

I'll be sharing with the rest of our team. Let us know if you need any more help along the way.
Hello Dexter,
I actually do have a question...
My system is up and running perfectly without issues! Love it.
I have a Duromax 12,000 watt generator that I'd like to tie into the Quattro inverter(s) so I can charge the battery bank from generator if necessary.

The generator has a 50 amp output, and requires a four conductor cable (2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground).
The Victron 10K Quattro inverters have AC-1 and AC-2 inputs. AC-1 is typically used for a generator, AC-2 can be a second generator or shore power/grid. Victron specs show AC-1 input values at 240V (actually two ranges, but based on 240v not 120v).

The AC-1 input has 1 hot/line, 1 neutral, and 1 ground.
I'm unsure how to connect the 4 conductor generator feed to the Quattro inverter AC-1 input since it is set up for 3 conductors.
Any help you can offer would be appreciated!
Thanks,
JD

Victron-10K-Quattro-AC-In.jpg

Victron-10K-Quattro-Gen-Connection.jpg

Duromax-XP12000EH-Panel-50amp-connect.jpg

Reliant-Gen-Box.jpg

Hi Jonathan,
I am completely off-grid, so no tie in.
I did not research the MultiPlus inverters. I was looking for a robust off grid system that could power a wood working shop and a 1600 sq ft house.
Current Connected had a complete system, which is what I went with after seeing a similar system installed by Riley and Courtney at Ambition Strikes on YouTube.
This system gives me 20kw continuous split phase for both 120vac and 240vac circuits.
I only have a portion of my panels installed currently, but will end up with just over 25kw PV input capacity [4 strings in series 360w x 8 for one MPPT 450/200, and 2 strings 360w x 8 plus 2 strings 400w x 10 for the other MPPT 450/200 charge controller].
I think it's 16kw capacity, not 20kw, per victron specs

I think it's 16kw capacity, not 20kw, per victron specs
I have two of the 10K Quattro inverters.
They are rated for 10K continuous output each, and 20kw surge.
With two, that gives me 20k continuous output in split phase.
Where did you see the 16kw rating?

I have two of the 10K Quattro inverters.
They are rated for 10K continuous output each, and 20kw surge.
With two, that gives me 20k continuous output in split phase.
Where did you see the 16kw rating?

Continuous output at 25c
10kva
Or 8kw
Screenshot_20240312-105642.png

Back