diy solar

diy solar

I bought this jumpstarter/air compressor, should I return it?

Santa

I bought this from Costco last month (I think its the correct one). I like to have it for all my tires (bike, scooter, car, ball) and in case my starting battery needs a jump. It was $99. I will be making my own solar system with 2 battleborns 100ah each. I am wondering if I should return it because I will have the BB's in my RV. I know this sounds dumb, but can I jumpstart my car with the BB's and just buy an air compressor? If so, can you recommend a compact air compressor? (I don't like the fact that the battery's lead.) Will this one even start my car? I hear mixed reviews.https://www.costco.ca/cat-1000-peak-amp-digital-power-station.product.100428498.html

Last edited:
I googled how many amps it takes to start a car and it says about 150 amps. It would probably be more for a larger engine. A single battleborn can output 200 amps surge so if you had 2 paralleled you could get 400 amps. I bought a cheap plastic compressor at harbor freight for 8 bucks I think

I googled how many amps it takes to start a car and it says about 150 amps. It would probably be more for a larger engine. A single battleborn can output 200 amps surge so if you had 2 paralleled you could get 400 amps. I bought a cheap plastic compressor at harbor freight for 8 bucks I think
Wow, that's funny because I was looking at reviews and some said it wouldn't even start their car batteries. (I haven't had to try it yet bc my car battery is fine.) The specs say, "can jump start V4, V6, and most V8 vehicles". I will check Harbor Freight out. Believe it or not, I've never been! Thanks!

P.S. Also, would I then need jumper cables long enough that reach my battleborns and just jump start just like you would from vehicle to vehicle?

P.S. Also, would I then need jumper cables long enough that reach my battleborns and just jump start just like you would from vehicle to vehicle?
Yes or the handle from a paint bucket. I once started my truck with an 18 volt drill battery and 2 metal paint bucket handles.

I got a nice set of jumper cables from my local diesel truck service shop... they had 1/0 pure copper cable, 600amp clamps, and are 30’long... for $89 HEAVY set of cables... but I can reach any dead battery from any parking position, and start without running the engine on the charging vehicle.

I know this is in a different price range than you are looking at Santa, but I have used a JNC660 jump starter on my 7.3 diesel for years and it has never failed me.
As for portable compressor, I was given a DeWalt 20v portable compressor as a gift. Got to admit that little beauty has come in quite handy also. It will not inflate my tires, 83psi, fully. But for use around the yard, bikes, wheelbarrow, inflatable toys, it has been amazing. But much better reviews on YouTube

I like he harbor freight 12v compressor. FAR better than any cheap pump in a jump starter box. About 30 bucks, and comes with hoses and fittings, chucks etc... ouch, it went up a bit... still a great pump.
They have a 100 psi version that looks decent for around 35...

The big drawback on the pump is the hose fitted to the pump uses a weird thread, if you break it, good luck fixing it...

I got a nice set of jumper cables from my local diesel truck service shop... they had 1/0 pure copper cable, 600amp clamps, and are 30’long... for $89 HEAVY set of cables... but I can reach any dead battery from any parking position, and start without running the engine on the charging vehicle.
"without running the engine on the charging vehicle" I didn't think about that last night. Will you elaborate? I grew up in Ohio, and did many jumps this way= cables connected to running-car to dead-battery-car. (So, my Battleborns won't be attached to an engine and a running vehicle, but a solar system.) Do you just hook the cables exactly as if the good battery IS attached to an engine? Thanks for the info on the cables. I will see if we have a diesel service shop near-by. This is an aside question, but does it matter if someone jumps you with....say a V8 engine, to your vehicle that is only a V4, for instance? Will the extra power hurt the other vehicle/battery?

I know this is in a different price range than you are looking at Santa, but I have used a JNC660 jump starter on my 7.3 diesel for years and it has never failed me.
As for portable compressor, I was given a DeWalt 20v portable compressor as a gift. Got to admit that little beauty has come in quite handy also. It will not inflate my tires, 83psi, fully. But for use around the yard, bikes, wheelbarrow, inflatable toys, it has been amazing. But much better reviews on YouTube
But if I have Battleborns, why do I need a jumpstarter? thanks.

In many of today's modern cars and electronics, the instructions for jumping can be very specific. In many cases, you jump the battery WITHOUT starting the source vehicle, and just let the dead battery absorb. Disconnect the cables, and start. Prevents damage to both vehicles.

Also, if my BB's are connected in parallel to an inverter, etc., would you unhook them before jumping a dead battery?

In many of today's modern cars and electronics, the instructions for jumping can be very specific. In many cases, you jump the battery WITHOUT starting the source vehicle, and just let the dead battery absorb. Disconnect the cables, and start. Prevents damage to both vehicles.
I never heard of that. How long do you wait before disconnecting the cables and try starting the vehicle?

Also, if my BB's are connected in parallel to an inverter, etc., would you unhook them before jumping a dead battery?
To throw my two cents in here (I know I'm late), I'd be concerned about your BB's BMS shutting down discharge when encountering the inrush current of a starter... thus why the vast majority of LFP batteries aren't rated for engine starting. As an example: my starter (91 Ranger STX, 4.0 V6) takes ~160A to start the engine... but the inrush current is ~520A for about 93ms. Maybe that's too fast for a BMS to respond... but I'd hesitate before trying it with anything other than a throwaway LFP.

Back