diy solar

diy solar

I did a thing…kinda

SilverbackMP

Solar Addict
Well I didn’t. Despite buying (last year) almost all the tools required for installation, I found a Mitsubishi dealer who A) returned my phone calls and B) wasn’t a crack head.

Total of six splits (all Hi2s with low temp heat) installed including the two I bought last year (and which he registered under his account for warranty. Took him 3 1/2 days and detailed the ever living shit out of it. Things I wouldn’t have thought to do (I.e foamed support for a line set we ran internally). This would have taken me 3 1/2 WEEKS.

Four went to my shop (18k, 12k, 9k, 6K), one for the main floor of my mom’s house (18k) and one for the power shed (9k)

Currently running offgrid from AC coupled SMA POWER.

*Will post photos as soon as I unfck images sizes. I wonder how much traffic this forum looses to FB and Reddit due this? There are solutions available that favors user experience.

And the aforementioned photos. Just of the ones on my shop.

minisplit 1.jpgminisplit 2.jpg

minisplit 3.jpg

Reminds me that I need to add that panel. I have four spares that I received after I left the US the last time. Do NOT over tighten your panel mounts...results aren't good.

Nice!

Why 4 different sizes units for the shop? Is it all open floor space inside or multiple rooms?

Reminds me that I need to add that panel. I have four spares that I received after I left the US the last time. Do NOT over tighten your panel mounts...results aren't good.

Top clamp?

My ground mounts use bolts through bottom of panel frame.
When I do rooftop, at least some will need to be top clamp for access.

Why 4 different sizes units for the shop?

That would support variable power. Compared to variable speed, if they do that, could be more efficient at optimum speed.

Will post photos as soon as I unfck images sizes. I wonder how much traffic this forum looses to FB and Reddit due this? There are solutions available that favors user experience.
What problems are you having posting images? I've never had a problem posting an image, even 200MP images. I just hit "Insert Image" and drag it in.

Nice!

Why 4 different sizes units for the shop? Is it all open floor space inside or multiple rooms?
28x36 sft open bay with 16 ft ceilings and an adjoining 16x20 area - 18k BTU
12 x 18 office plus a large bathroom and closet (8ft ceiling) - 6k BTU
20x36 enclosed mezzanine - 12k BTU
12x20 shed extension - 9k BTU.

Last edited:
What problems are you having posting images? I've never had a problem posting an image, even 200MP images. I just hit "Insert Image" and drag it in.
Says the image is too big when posting from my iphone - I have been bringing them into photoshop for resizing and compression. On my old phone, I had the option of uploading a smaller image. Maybe that's a camera setting and I was capturing all three sizes? Regardless, it's going to confuse those that aren't that photo or technical literate and make a barrier as compared to FB or Reddit.

On some of my sites, I have the ability for folks to load up images in the comments. I use a service called "shortpixel" (there are others) to automatically resize and compress those images in a way that's transparent to the end user. It costs a bit, but it's not expensive. We actually use it sitewide to include running images through it that we post in blog content - even though we optimize them initially. It still takes shaves away some bulk for faster loading.

Might be something to consider here if Xenforo doesn't have an inbuilt system.

You were wise to use the ground mount. Less chance of any noise transfer.

I didn't know they made double mounts like that. (y)
The one for the solar shed is mounted to an extra top that I had around for concrete big blocks. I figure it's around 1200 lbs. It ain't going anywhere or producing any vibrations, lol.

Top clamp?

My ground mounts use bolts through bottom of panel frame.
When I do rooftop, at least some will need to be top clamp for access.
What are you using for a rail?

I have a few boxes of these, they do come in handy. No longer available but they do offer these.

I have a few boxes of these, they do come in handy. No longer available but they do offer these.
It's a Sinclair Skyrack 2.0. Actually three of them due to being on the side of a pond dam and trying to keep at least pieces of it on a plumb and level grade.

Says the image is too big when posting from my iphone - I have been bringing them into photoshop for resizing and compression. On my old phone, I had the option of uploading a smaller image.

Try selecting the image and emailing to yourself.
When I do that (from iPhone to Yahoo mail), it asks me to select image size.
Then maybe you can save the reduced image from email back to iPhone (I haven't tried.)

I have email set up on the iPhone mostly for sending and use iPhone as camera, but do all my browsing and processing on PC.

It's a Sinclair Skyrack 2.0. Actually three of them due to being on the side of a pond dam and trying to keep at least pieces of it on a plumb and level grade.
I was responding to Hedges about his roof mount and needing a top clamp bracket. The clamps I have work good with unistrut and the strut nuts.

I guess I never looked how Sinclair clamps panels. Isn't it a self tapping screw into the rail?

Try selecting the image and emailing to yourself.
When I do that (from iPhone to Yahoo mail), it asks me to select image size.
Then maybe you can save the reduced image from email back to iPhone (I haven't tried.)

I have email set up on the iPhone mostly for sending and use iPhone as camera, but do all my browsing and processing on PC.
I do that often, take a photo with phone, then just email it to myself so I can download it onto my pc later, then upload easily here.

I've been using Unirac medium duty rails. With clips into the side slots, bolts between clips and panels.

I've picked up some heavy duty rails, like the medium with I-beam like wings on just one side.
That's what I was supposed to receive with U/LA ground mounts, but didn't.

I got a boatload of light duty, plan to use them for several rooftop projects.
If possible, I may use two bottom bolts and maybe two top clamps for those.

I have the Unirac top clamps that look like your U-shaped ones, also end clamps which have teeth for adjustable height.

diy solar

diy solar
Back