diy solar

diy solar

I have a 1200W inverter

Terry Tseed

I have a 1200W inverter that is 12V would there be any advantage to having a 24V battery bank?

Welcome to the forum!

No, they are incompatible. Your inverter, battery bank, and charger need to operate at the same voltage.
  • Many solar charge controllers can support multiple battery bank voltages (you'll find many 12/24V etc. which provides flexibility)
  • Many wall chargers operate at a single voltage, but some can be found that support 12/24V
  • All inverters (or inverter/charger combos) that I've seen operate at a single voltage (maybe some are 12/24V capable etc. but I haven't come across any)
This is why you'll see so many threads with people recommending that you take the time to figure out your power needs and determine your system voltage up front. Starting with a 12V system and then moving up is often an expensive route, as you need to buy at least some new equipment when changing voltage.

If your 12V system is operating well and providing the power you need from it, keep using it!

Welcome to the forum!

No, they are incompatible. Your inverter, battery bank, and charger need to operate at the same voltage.
  • Many solar charge controllers can support multiple battery bank voltages (you'll find many 12/24V etc. which provides flexibility)
  • Many wall chargers operate at a single voltage, but some can be found that support 12/24V
  • All inverters (or inverter/charger combos) that I've seen operate at a single voltage (maybe some are 12/24V capable etc. but I haven't come across any)
This is why you'll see so many threads with people recommending that you take the time to figure out your power needs and determine your system voltage up front. Starting with a 12V system and then moving up is often an expensive route, as you need to buy at least some new equipment when changing voltage.

If your 12V system is operating well and providing the power you need from it, keep using it!
Thanks, I thought maybe a DC/DC between the 24v battery bank and the 12v inverter would increase output and save on costs when I want to upgrade. But I'm just getting intrested and a friend had this 2500w 12v inverter.

The inverter is 12v, then ya gotta feed it 12v... but the wire feeding it needs to be large enough for 209AMPS and should be size for 125% of that or 261AMPS...

So, if you buy some 4/0 copper cable you can feed this inverter the watts it needs...

Or you can buy a 24v inverter, and it’ll only need 105 amps... so can be fed with smaller #2 or #1 wire... lower cost, wire. And less heat buildup on the cables.

I know all the pros about 24 volts and would love to do it but I would have to rebuy inverters and a big 24 to twelve volt converter. My 12 volt Waeco kettle chews 16 amps when it boils water. That might have to be a big converter. Stove fan, water pump, fridge, freezer, lights, toilet flush, chargers for batteries, HF radio (chews 17 amps on transmit) all need twelve. One day maybe. It certainly makes wiring easier to have 24 volts. A 30 amp model range from cheapies below to $300 for a good Redarc. I wonder how efficient they are.

Cheap ones here but will they make rf noise being bucks and not regulated?

Last edited:
I know all the pros about 24 volts and would love to do it but I would have to rebuy inverters and a big 24 to twelve volt converter. My 12 volt Waeco kettle chews 16 amps when it boils water. That might have to be a big converter. Stove fan, water pump, fridge, freezer, lights, toilet flush, chargers for batteries, HF radio (chews 17 amps on transmit) all need twelve. One day maybe. It certainly makes wiring easier to have 24 volts. A 30 amp model range from cheapies below to $300 for a good Redarc. I wonder how efficient they are.
Have you tried your kettle on 24V Anything thats just an element should work OK. You can get pretty hefty DC to DC converters these days but probably still not big enough for you.

Cheap ones here but will they make rf noise being bucks and not regulated?

This would work to power your 12v loads off a 24v bank, but NO WAY are you getting a 12v buck converter capable of feeding a 1200watt 12v inverter... nope.
No way... far cheaper to just get a 24v inverter at that point, and sell your 12v one... or put it in your car.

Back