diy solar

diy solar

Giandel 1200W pure sine wave inverter restarts

eslad

Hi I have the following setup.
1 - Used Canadian 240W Solar Panel connected to 20A mppt renogy charge controller connected to LiTime 12V 50Ah lithium battery connected to Giandel 1200W pure sine wave inverter. My modem is plugged into the inverter. Everyday when the input Voltage reaches around 14V the inverter restarts. I had the same problem with a 500W inverter as well. I'm not sure if the solar panel is wrong for the charge controller or if the battery is the issue. However, when I used the marine grade deep cycle lead acid battery, I had no issues with atleast the 500W inverter. What might be causing this issue? I'm a noob.

It is possible that the Giandel 1200W is over sensitive to voltage.

I think that it is possibly more likely that the renogy is cutting off charging abruptly and there is a fluctuation that freaks out the Giandel? Or the renogy is not rolling off charging responsively enough and it overvolts?
Just wildhat guessing.

My 1200W Giandel was always fantastic fwiw
when I used the marine grade deep cycle lead acid battery, I had no issues with atleast the 500W inverter.
Lead acid batteries have much lower resistance. LiFePo can punch out amps more immediately than lead acid.
Perhaps the bms is cutting off in the LiFePo battery due to the renogy not doing it judiciously?

Thank you for your response @12VoltInstalls. I looked in the manual that Giandel can handle up to 16V max so is it possible to change the threshold from 14 to 15 maybe? I bought this used and I don't have the communication module for it etc... I think it may have been set to 14V by the previous owner.

Thank you for lead acid battery comment, that makes sense.

Last edited:
Can the issue be also that the load is too low on the inverter?

Does your modem operate on 12VDC by chance? You could take the inverter out of the equation.
Perhaps....it was installed by the service provider. So do you think it's the modem then? If this is the case, then lead acid battery maybe better in my situation?

Perhaps....it was installed by the service provider. So do you think it's the modem then?
Look at the back of the modem, if it has 12V input plug, you can just feed that directly from your battery.

I see no reason to suspect the modem to be your issue.

Last edited:
Perhaps....it was installed by the service provider. So do you think it's the modem then? If this is the case, then lead acid battery maybe better in my situation?
So the output is 12V 2.5 A and the input is 100-200V with 1.0A and 50-60Hz

So the output is 12V 2.5 A and the input is 100-200V with 1.0A and 50-60Hz
That is the AC to DC adaptor. So you can simply connect your battery directly to your modem, you do not need an inverter.

Do you have an unused power adaptor that has the same plug that fits your modem? Or can you find a similar plug/cord?

That is the AC to DC adaptor. So you can simply connect your battery directly to your modem, you do not need an inverter.

Do you have an unused power adaptor that has the same plug that fits your modem? Or can you find a similar plug/cord?
I'll investigate further and get back. Need to do it when no one is using the internet... But the battery doesn't have any plugs.....do you mean I need to connect with the 6awg cable directory from battery to the modem?

I'll investigate further and get back. Need to do it when no one is using the internet... But the battery doesn't have any plugs.....do you mean I need to connect with the 6awg cable directly from battery to the modem?

12V 2.5A only needs a small wire, maybe 16AWG (guessing, away from computer).

If you have something with a matching plug from old answering machine, calculator… you could cut that cord and add connectors to your battery.

Right now, you have 12VDC battery that your inverter inverts to 120VAC that the converter inline on your modem cable converts back to 12VDC. That may be 2x 15% conversion losses!

Is it possible that it is receiving voltage spikes from the charge controller? That was the case with my former Epever Tracers, causing inverter restarts. It was apparent with two different inverters. I logged the data and was seeing <1second spikes above 15v which was over the inverter cut off voltage. Changing to victron solved the problem.

12V 2.5A only needs a small wire, maybe 16AWG (guessing, away from computer).

If you have something with a matching plug from old answering machine, calculator… you could cut that cord and add connectors to your battery.

Right now, you have 12VDC battery that your inverter inverts to 120VAC that the converter inline on your modem cable converts back to 12VDC. That may be 2x 15% conversion losses!
I see, thank you. Will report back to see what works.

Is it possible that it is receiving voltage spikes from the charge controller? That was the case with my former Epever Tracers, causing inverter restarts. It was apparent with two different inverters. I logged the data and was seeing <1second spikes above 15v which was over the inverter cut off voltage. Changing to victron solved the problem.
Thank you, it could be it as well. I will report back once I figure out.

Is it possible that it is receiving voltage spikes from the charge controller?
✅
Or can you find a similar plug/cord?
FWIW when I went to eliminate the power adapter for my cell signal booster it was cheaper to buy ten of the correct mm circular plugs with pigtails than it was to buy a single 36” cord. Like $4 iirc.

Back