diy solar

diy solar

I have a simple 200W Solar/MPPT/100Ah Li/2000W Inverter system, where do I plug my generator DC cables to charge my batteries

chrissywwoods

I wish to use my EU2000i generator to charge my battery when the sun isn't enuff. Do I just plug my DC cables from the battery charger (which is hooked to the generator) to the positive and negative bus bars and let her rip? Any advice if not this would be appreciated.

What kind of charger do you have? Does it have a setting for LFP or is it just a regular car charger?

Either way yes, you can just hook it up like a normal battery charger but if it doesn't have a Lithium setting it won't completely top off the batteries, but 95%+ should get you through.

I've asked a few times on here what the 2nd best charging profile is if your battery charger doesn't have a lithium setting and the answer has always been "Buy a new charger" instead of a real answer. I usually just use the AGM when I'm doing my battery builds to get the bulk charging out of the way before top balancing. :rolleyes:

What kind of charger do you have? Does it have a setting for LFP or is it just a regular car charger?

Either way yes, you can just hook it up like a normal battery charger but if it doesn't have a Lithium setting it won't completely top off the batteries, but 95%+ should get you through.

I've asked a few times on here what the 2nd best charging profile is if your battery charger doesn't have a lithium setting and the answer has always been "Buy a new charger" instead of a real answer. I usually just use the AGM when I'm doing my battery builds to get the bulk charging out of the way before top balancing. :rolleyes:

Preach bruh.

Any 12V charger that charges between 13.8V and 14.6V can get a LFP battery fully charged. I feel like a broken record trying to convince RVers to NOT buy a "lithium" converter without giving their existing converter an evaluation.

Any 12V charger that charges between 13.8V and 14.6V can get a LFP battery fully charged. I feel like a broken record trying to convince RVers to NOT buy a "lithium" converter without giving their existing converter an evaluation.
True, but I also see many cheaper chargers and converters (like the one in my brother's pop-up) that are 13.0 or 12.8 even! I don't think I've ever seen a charger that can do 14.4+ that DIDN'T have a Lithium setting of some sort.

Since they pretty much never list the charging voltages on the charger itself I've always wondered what the closest profile was to LFP for us poors.

True, but I also see many cheaper chargers and converters (like the one in my brother's pop-up) that are 13.0 or 12.8 even! I don't think I've ever seen a charger that can do 14.4+ that DIDN'T have a Lithium setting of some sort.

Many do. All of the Powermax do, and the "LK" versions are bulk-voltage adjustable. WFCO often do, though they're notorious for absurdly short bulk duration. Several Progressive Dynamics do. Some IOTA with the right dongle, etc.

I've encountered a LOT that have the following or similar profiles across various brands:

14.4V bulk (15-120 minutes), 13.6-13.8V "absorption", 13.2V float

Shit wire gauge and length tend to be the bigger factor over charger voltages. Generator charging really throws a wrench into the equation.

Since they pretty much never list the charging voltages on the charger itself I've always wondered what the closest profile was to LFP for us poors.

Like you said, AGM is always pretty close.

Back