diy solar

diy solar

Once again, I need help! LOL! Redoing my entire Off-Grid system

BulldawgSolar

You guys really came thru for me last year, but I have realized it was insufficient.

I REALLY need guidance to build my upgraded system with the new components. Here is what I am working with:

- I have 8 Eco-Worthy 12v/150ah Li batteries hooked up in 2 banks of 4 in series.
- I used overkill wiring, BUS bars, multiple in line fuses
- I have 2 Eco-Worthy 6-string PV combiner Boxes 63A
- UL1741 8000W DC 48V MPPT Solar Inverter Charger, Low Frequency Pure Sine Wave Split Phase Inverter AC Input 240V to Output 120V / 240V, with 80A AC Charger
- 24 200W/12V, 19.5v max pwr voltage, 10.5a max current, 22.5v open-circuit, 11v short-circuit, 1000V max system voltage (sorry, 12 of 24 are 210V)
- if needed, Victron Smart MPPT 150V/35A 12/24/36/48V solar charge controller and several Y Branch Parallel Adapter Cable

My inclination is having the Panels hooked up a 3 sets of 4 panels hooked in series connected to 1 Combiner Box X 2 with the PV outputs from both Boxes combined to a BUS Bar and the BUS to the Hybrid Invertor. IF that is too much, I could run some panels thru the Victron, but I will yield to the experts.

My Inputs will be exclusively Solar. We AC outputs are almost all going to be 120V.

If I'm correct, my system should allow for Solar PV input of up to 2400W/31.5A and storage of 1,200 AH (which I am open to adding 4-8 more 12V/150AH batteries if it is obviously needed). My panels can be mounted very close to the system and I get TONS of unshaded sun light. There are literaly 100s of thousands of Solart Panels in a 15 mile radius and more farms being built in middle Georgia.

Also, I had to reset my current set up which has a Sigineer 3500W Hybrid Inverter Controller and I have no idea what BMS protocol I should use in the setup again. Eco-Worthy and Renology aren't responding.

Brice

It appears that some of your math is off? How exactly did you come up with 1200Ah of storage? If you wired four of those 12V batteries in series to get 48V, that would be one 150Ah string at 48V. Two in parallel would be 300Ah at 48V. Do you KNOW that these batteries can be wired in series?

Please identify the Brand/specifications of the inverter/charger you are referring to? This is an AiO, right? What's the voltage limit on it's MPPT? Only four of those panels in series would have a Voc of 90V. If using the Victron you mention, you could wire at 6, depending on how cold your winter lows are.

It appears that some of your math is off? How exactly did you come up with 1200Ah of storage? If you wired four of those 12V batteries in series to get 48V, that would be one 150Ah string at 48V. Two in parallel would be 300Ah at 48V. Do you KNOW that these batteries can be wired in series?

Please identify the Brand/specifications of the inverter/charger you are referring to? This is an AiO, right? What's the voltage limit on it's MPPT? Only four of those panels in series would have a Voc of 90V. If using the Victron you mention, you could wire at 6, depending on how cold your winter lows are.
It is Sungold Power

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_165910_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_165910_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 5

And these batteries have worked perfectly for over a year in the configuration of 2 banks of 4 in series. So I assumed they were 48v/1200ah.

And these batteries have worked perfectly for over a year in the configuration of 2 banks of 4 in series. So I assumed they were 48v/1200ah.
But I have used HUGE gauge wires for everything so I don't think I'm limited if a different configuration is better

Ummm, no. You need to remember the basic electrical mantra, which is.... In series, volts add, while amps stay the same. In parallel, amps add, while volts stay the same.

Since your 12V batteries are 150Ah each, wiring four in series means they are 150Ah at 48V. See how that fulfills the first half of the mantra? When you parallel two 150Ah strings at 48V, you get 300Ah at 48V. See how that fulfills the second half of the mantra.

Here are the specs for your inverter. You are limited by a hard voltage limit of 155V, so you need to be careful as to how many panels you put in series. What are your winter lows like? The voltage of your panel string will go up as the temperature goes down. The voltage goes up roughly ~1.12X at freezing, so a string of six of your panels might be 135Voc at room temperature, but raise up to >151Voc on a frosty morning. It would be safer to wire them as 5S. That would give you four parallel strings of 5 panels each, running at ~100Vmp. That would be ~ 1000W per string. Any chance you can find one more panel? Then you could wire in 5 parallel strings, two going into one of the MPPTs, and 3 into the second.
1690407759593.png

I kind of stinks that my new hybrid inverter can't manage all of the panels on its on, but oh well.
So I'm looking at 3S5P 200W panels going the SunGold via a combiner box and 2S5P 200W panels to the Victron MPPT via the 2nd combiner box. Is that correct?

Side note: my battery monitor and the Victron both routinely show my battery banks at 56.8V (my settings were 42V-56.8V), 950-1050Ah. I thought that confirmed my theoretical 1200Ah capacity.

I still have NO clue what BMS protocol I should select when setting up the new inverter or how I figured it out when I originally set up the system with the 3500w Sigineer

I kind of stinks that my new hybrid inverter can't manage all of the panels on its on, but oh well.
So I'm looking at 3S5P 200W panels going the SunGold via a combiner box and 2S5P 200W panels to the Victron MPPT via the 2nd combiner box. Is that correct?
Again, no. This is really why it's so important to document what it is you are using. Looking through the specifications of your inverter, I see this...

Built in MPPT solar controller: It has two 60A MPPT solar chargers which can accept two strings of 60A PV (Max 3500w) input from two solar arrays or parallel to accept 120A (Max 2×3500w) input from one big PV array

What this means is that the 3S5P 200W panel strings can go into MPPT #1 of the Sungold, and 2S5P 200W panel strings can go into MPPT #2.

So, the Victron can be diverted to another purpose.

Please change your settings to reflect the 300Ah battery. 950Ah-1050Ah is wrong!

Looking at your manufacturer's recommendations, your charging voltage should be 58.4, not 56.8. Adjust that also. All this information was available to you, if you had made the effort to locate it.
1690465486691.png

Back