diy solar

diy solar

Can I run my MPPT charge controller and my dc to ac power inverter at the same time, while operating appliances through my inverter.

fredoliver57

I have a 24v battery system hooked with a 24v 3000-watt power inverter and 600 watts of solar panels. I need to know, definitively, that I can run my inverter simultaneously with my MPPT charge controller during the day without damaging either while powering appliances through my dc to ac inverter. Attached is a pic of my system.

Attachments

• MySystem_01.jpg
    MySystem_01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • MySystem_02.jpg
    MySystem_02.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 23
Is your inverter connected to the charge controller or the batteries?

In general, if the inverter is connected to the batteries you can run both at the same time.

ADDED:

"So--The answer is that you cannot safely/reliably put your AC inverter on the "typical" solar charge controller's Load Terminals. You must connect the AC inverter (through circuit breaker/fuse/short and heavy wiring) directly to the battery bus." NAZ SOLAR

Last edited:
The positive from the battery goes to both, the inverter and the battery input on the charge controller. I've not seen any other way to connect them. Why do people always ask this? I can isolate the inverter by switching off the breaker that's under the mppt controller. But my question is; shouldn't I be able to run both at the same time?

I have a 24v battery system hooked with a 24v 3000-watt power inverter and 600 watts of solar panels. I need to know, definitively, that I can run my inverter simultaneously with my MPPT charge controller during the day without damaging either while powering appliances through my dc to ac inverter. Attached is a pic of my system.
A few things I'd change. One is move the positive busbar. Run the MPPT output to that busbar and inverter input to that busbar. Install a T type fuse instead of the ANL from battery to busbar. The fuse should located as close to the battery as possible. Install the switch after the fuse.

The positive from the battery goes to both, the inverter and the battery input on the charge controller. I've not seen any other way to connect them. Why do people always ask this? I can isolate the inverter by switching off the breaker that's under the mppt controller. But my question is; shouldn't I be able to run both at the same time?
Here is how I did it.

The reason I asked is most charge controllers also have DC load terminals. Some people try to connect an inverter to those and that is not recommended.

How can you NOT connect the controller to the battery when the inverter is ALSO connected to the battery?
Charge controllers have a load lug set. This is for light duty lights at low amps usually. It is not correct to connect these to an inverter. So it is possible to wire it incorrectly.

In general, yes you can run both at the same time. In fact, after you are at or near full charge on the batteries it’s free power from the controller so most of the extra amps can go to the inverter and do not drain the batteries. It’s preferable to run heavy loads on your inverter while there is sunshine. When the batteries are fully charged the charge controller just goes j to idle mode more or less. This is the best time to run a microwave, toaster or other high draw appliance.

A few things I'd change. One is move the positive busbar. Run the MPPT output to that busbar and inverter input to that busbar. Install a T type fuse instead of the ANL from battery to busbar. The fuse should located as close to the battery as possible. Install the switch after the fuse.
Thanks, but it's working well the way it is. I got this setup from another Youtube solar wizard. Why would I feed the inverter from the "load" output of the mppt charger?

You have a complex system with hybrid controller, not for me to follow. But thanks.
No, I have a charge controller that is wired to my DC bus.

I don't have a hybrid controller. I have a pair of inverters that run off that DC bus. Power on the DC bus comes from batteries or charge controllers.

If the battery is disconnected and the sun is shining, the inverters will continue to operate- if there is enough power coming from the charge controllers. It's a simple system, similar to yours, just a larger scale is all.

Nothing I have communicates with anything else on my system.

Thanks, but it's working well the way it is. I got this setup from another Youtube solar wizard. Why would I feed the inverter from the "load" output of the mppt charger?
You have 2 cables on the ANL fuse terminal. One from MPPT, the other to inverter. Plus the added connection for the ANL.

I don't consider this acceptable, it is 3 stacked connections on one terminal. I expect at some point it will be posted in the Up in Smoke part of this forum.

I offered my advise, take it or leave it. Read what I wrote several times, maybe it will click, maybe it won't. I don't care about your Youtube wizard, if this is copied from their work, I would advise to not follow their example. May I suggest you read more in these forums and try to learn everything you can? Some great minds here, more than willing to help someone out, we all started out learning something new and picked up how things should be done and correctly done.

Either you want help or you don't. I offered but I will kindly bow out now.

Lol, everyone on YT thinks they are a solar wizard these days.

20+ years off grid and 15 of those teaching people about small off grid systems and I haven't burnt down a house yet. Some of the new hybrid controllers can run both DC and AC off a large solar array but that doesn't appear to be what you have. That is why I specified the rule for using the DC terminals from the controller is not recommended.

The answer depends on the type of controller and size of system. Have a good one friend!

Yes you can run the mppt controller at the same time with the inverter especially since its hooked to it all the time anyways under normal circumstances.

In fact I run two solar charge controllers at the same time hooked to my 12v battery bank with a 1000 watt inverter. I had a 24v setup with the same charge controllers and a 2000 watt inverter in the past and worked fine too.

The controllers were providing 80amps output back then on the 24v setup while the inverter was powering the house stuff.

Back