diy solar

diy solar

I have fried 2 charge controllers! Please help!!

I’m sorry guys… I’m trying to keep up. Here are the specs for the solar panel.

Attachments

• 5570CEB8-A1A9-4FD3-93DD-8F4DD618A837.jpeg
    5570CEB8-A1A9-4FD3-93DD-8F4DD618A837.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 36
Your charge controller can only accept 1040W. With ten 200W panels, you have double the rated power input that your charge controller can handle. You have too many panels.

You are able to put 3 in series and still be under the 150V. Your panels are 24V nominal, but have a VOC of somewhere near 40V (assuming they deliver 5.2A as you stated).

In order to get the most power into the charge controller, I would recommend 5 in parallel. That allows the max power and you're still within the voltage and current ratings of your charge controller.
Since he blew up the second MPPT, can we assume he did not order a third?

Maybe best to find a MPPT controller to suit the panels.

Yeah my proposal will not work The Voc is 45.4vDC at that amount only 2 in series.

Now that everyone has the specs of my charge controller and the panels. Do me a tremendous favor. Tell me exactly, in order to maximize as many panels as possible, how to connect them so I do not blow up my charge controller. And I will do it without fail.

Now that everyone has the specs of my charge controller and the panels. Do me a tremendous favor. Tell me exactly, in order to maximize as many panels as possible, how to connect them so I do not blow up my charge controller. And I will do it without fail.
5 in parallel

First thing, is you have to measure voltage before you connect anything again. Pretty sure there is a rule here if you blow up three CCs people are forced not to help you anymore.

Least I thought it was a rule. :)

What is the lowest temperature on record for your area ?
That is needed to calculate how much each panel will go above the specified Voc of 45.4 Volt
I assume this is the panel in question ?

What is the lowest temperature on record for your area ?
That is needed to calculate how much each panel will go above the specified Voc of 45.4 Volt
It doesn't matter. OP needs 5 in parallel. The voltage will stay well within the limits.

You can do 3 in series

Given you have 10, you should do 2 in series

You'll need to fuse each parallel string.

You can do 3 in series
Depending on lowest temp
Given you have 10, you should do 2 in series
I would say put 1.2 to 1.25 times max power of CC on the input:
1250-1300 worth of panels i would say 6 panels per CC would be nice.
He could go 3S2P on one controller and 2S2P on a second for maximum performance
That way he would need no fuses to parallel any of his strings.

or if it gets too cold in his area
2S3P with fuses between each string and the 2nd controller 2S2P (like above)

Here in Southern Ohio, extreme temp, 3 below Fahrenheit

I will do 5 in parallel.

One last question. I have a total of 10 panels I would like to utilize. So my best option would be to have two sets of 5 panels in parallel connecting to their own charge controllers.

Is this correct?

I will do 5 in parallel.

One last question. I have a total of 10 panels I would like to utilize. So my best option would be to have two sets of 5 panels in parallel connecting to their own charge controllers.

Is this correct?
Yes, or get one larger charge controller

I will do 5 in parallel.

Is this correct?
What are you trying to charge?

The specsheet of the manufacturer does not say the Voc temp coefficient on their website, which is a pity
Using a common number, I am afraid 3 panels in series will go above the 150 volt limit of your CC.
So I would play it safe and max use 2 panels in series on that controller.
That should work without problems.

Like I wrote before:
CC1:
2S3P with fuses between the strings
CC2:
2S2P without fuses

Or get one larger CC

So I do not blow myself up. Knowing the 10 panels that I have and the specs. Can you point me to a control charger that will work.

Back