diy solar

diy solar

I need a 5000w 120v single phase isolation transformer. Any recommendations?

SteveDeFacto

I currently have a 2000w Victron isolation transformer and it works magnificently when charging my Quattro-II from a 15a 120v gfci outlet.

However, I need one for my 5000w generator as my Quattro-II keeps causing the contactor to open. I see Victron has a 3600w 120/240v model and a 7000w 230v-ONLY model.

I need the generator to be running near peak output to avoid wet-stacking. Can I run 2 Victron isolation transformers in parallel? Or perhaps someone knows of a reputable non-victron isolation transformer that can handle 5000w at 120v?

Fixed or mobile?

Second hand utility transformers could be used if size and weight aren't a concern.
They may work OK at rated voltage when fed by a generator. When fed by an inverter, I find they draw excessive no-load current.

If you put 120V into 240V primary windings, or 240V into 480V primary windings, it will draw much lower no-load current (closer to ideal transformer). Output voltage will also be 1/2 of nameplate voltage, and power handling will be 1/2.

So a 10kVA or larger 240/480V to 120/240V transformer should work. Like this, but try to find locally to save shipping.

Fixed or mobile?

Second hand utility transformers could be used if size and weight aren't a concern.
They may work OK at rated voltage when fed by a generator. When fed by an inverter, I find they draw excessive no-load current.

If you put 120V into 240V primary windings, or 240V into 480V primary windings, it will draw much lower no-load current (closer to ideal transformer). Output voltage will also be 1/2 of nameplate voltage, and power handling will be 1/2.

So a 10kVA or larger 240/480V to 120/240V transformer should work. Like this, but try to find locally to save shipping.

Oh really? I didn't know that would work. The generator is actually an mep-802a on its trailer. I could just mount the massive transformer on the trailer. 😆

The generator may not object to driving inductive loads, so driving primary windings at rated voltage may be OK.

I've seen transformers overload some inverters (UPS), so I like to run at half rated voltage.
Also, driving primary rather than back-driving secondary is much preferred.

diy solar

diy solar
Back