diy solar

diy solar

I want to monitor my DC load not my battery discharge

Yes on one and two.

As for monitor #3, does the SCC not have any kind of display?
I'm using this Renogy, it has no display. Due to lack of display I've spec'd in the bayite shunt/monitor to show the power production of the solar panel and then utilising a switch to flip the shunt wiring to have the monitor show any charge from the solar that is going back to the battery after the load (the bayite guides suggest it's possible, just have to get a bit fancy to wire up the switch on the one shunt to enable it to flip around)

@Brewman howdy mate. I've had a good crack at implementing your suggestion, I hooked it all up to car as follows (minus the solar as don't have the panel yet) and spent time with some free software getting this swanky wiring diagram together
1593261834723.png
I've got the battery monitor showing all the current coming down the line when the alternator is running which is great i.e showing +37A etc.. and the load monitor showing this fridge draw 5A. However, with the running alternator/ starter battery pushing charge through to the auxiliary battery (105Ah Lithium) the battery monitor complains and flashes "reverse polarity" - if I disconnect the running alternator/ starter battery leaving only the running fridge in the circuit, the battery monitor is behaves and happily shows the current draw by the fridge with no complaints about polarity.

I tried switching the cabling around on the battery monitor shunt, which, resulted in the battery monitor showing -37A with correct polarity when the alternator is running and pushing charge through to the auxiliary battery.

Any ideas/ suggestions would be bloody fantastic as I'm doing my marbles! ;)

That's got me scratching my head. I haven't dealt with DC to DC charging yet but I'll think it over. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Back