diy solar

diy solar

I'm a noobie and just designed my first system, any issues with it?

Salsbury81

I'm a rookie to solar but have been researching it every waking moment. So I think I have got my system figured out and wanted to sure there isn't any issues with what I'm planning before I start ordering. Any advice or warnings would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

24v system:
Solar panels: 270w 44.4voc 7.6amp 3S3P -2,430w 133voc 22.8amps
Charge controller: Epever Tracer 10420AN Series 100amp 200v pv input
Inverter: Sungoldpower 6000w 24v
Batteries: Lifepo4 3.2v 280ah in 8s =24v
BMS: Daly 250a

It really is best to work it all out first before buying a single thing. You have the very "basic" part sorted.
The Inverter gives me pause being 6000W because at 6kw that's 250A and x2 for High Frequency or 3x for Low Frequency inverters for Surge Handling. Generally, for 24V 4-5kw is the limit, after which 48V makes more sense, simply due to the amperage being pulled. I am not familiar with SunGold Power other than the little mention here occasionally.

The big costs lurking is the BOS. Fuses, breakers, wiring, switches and all that stuff... you easily notice the $500 or $1000 item but those damned $10 & $20 odds and sods get ya. Even things like battery cables, seem innocuous, pick the wrong set & need to upgrade your into coin... Example, 24V/250A 6' long run (typically 6-8 feet is usual) you'll need 4/0 cable, especially if you think you'll have surges to handle. See the chart below. I run 24V and have pushed 200-225A through 4/0 but I have longer runs @ 12' total.

There are several factors to consider in so you build a system that has a solid base that you can add to as needed / wanted in the future without having to incur significant costs. There is one constant, we all build our systems, even with the best planning figuring we got it "nailed" but within a year or two, we realize that we have to do some tweaking / updating. Lesson Learned, I built for 24V/3kw originally using 2/0 wire, within a year, upgraded to 4kw and had to go up to 4.0, both costly things, which also meant new fuses & breakers too. Happens quite a lot.

A parting thought. There are some things you can play the "economy" game with, as long as you stick with known good reputable "value" brands and there are several used & discussed on here. There are other economy things can be damaging to equipment at best or deadly at worst, such as fuses & breakers, even some wiring.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
PS, have a look at the links in my signature, including about my system, they may be helpful.

Excelene-Wire-Info.JPG

It really is best to work it all out first before buying a single thing. You have the very "basic" part sorted.
The Inverter gives me pause being 6000W because at 6kw that's 250A and x2 for High Frequency or 3x for Low Frequency inverters for Surge Handling. Generally, for 24V 4-5kw is the limit, after which 48V makes more sense, simply due to the amperage being pulled. I am not familiar with SunGold Power other than the little mention here occasionally.

The big costs lurking is the BOS. Fuses, breakers, wiring, switches and all that stuff... you easily notice the $500 or $1000 item but those damned $10 & $20 odds and sods get ya. Even things like battery cables, seem innocuous, pick the wrong set & need to upgrade your into coin... Example, 24V/250A 6' long run (typically 6-8 feet is usual) you'll need 4/0 cable, especially if you think you'll have surges to handle. See the chart below. I run 24V and have pushed 200-225A through 4/0 but I have longer runs @ 12' total.

There are several factors to consider in so you build a system that has a solid base that you can add to as needed / wanted in the future without having to incur significant costs. There is one constant, we all build our systems, even with the best planning figuring we got it "nailed" but within a year or two, we realize that we have to do some tweaking / updating. Lesson Learned, I built for 24V/3kw originally using 2/0 wire, within a year, upgraded to 4kw and had to go up to 4.0, both costly things, which also meant new fuses & breakers too. Happens quite a lot.

A parting thought. There are some things you can play the "economy" game with, as long as you stick with known good reputable "value" brands and there are several used & discussed on here. There are other economy things can be damaging to equipment at best or deadly at worst, such as fuses & breakers, even some wiring.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
PS, have a look at the links in my signature, including about my system, they may be helpful.

View attachment 31626
My ultimate goal is to go with a 48 volt system but due to budget I would like to build the biggest 24 volt system I can. So you recommend that I dropped my inverter down to four thousand Watts? I'm in a great position as far as my wire goes as my wife works in a factory that makes wire from 4 ott down to 20ga and we get 200' of any gauge what they call scrap for free. When I decide to go 48 volt I would like to just to be able to replace the inverter, add to my battery Bank and change out any fuses etc to match the 48v system. Of course expand my solar array and add another controller in parallel. Thanks for the advice.

"....add to my battery Bank and change out any fuses etc to match the 48v system." You would be wise to purchase 16 cells and connect 2p8s for 24v and if you want to got to 48v later, converter those 16 cells to 16s. If you want to make the battery bank larger, then buy 16 more cells for a second battery in parallel. If you only have 8 cells today, you will later be trying to find 8 more exactly like them and with the same about amount of "wear" so when you connect them 16s for 48v, they will all have the same capacity. Not knowing when you plan this upgrade, you should consider these options...
1. set the original 8 cells aside and get 16 new ones, when you move to 48v
2. be okay with a battery with cells that were somewhat different
3. buy 16 cells now, as described above

What do you plan to operate with the inverter? I think you do not have enough battery to deal with those 6000 watts.

"....add to my battery Bank and change out any fuses etc to match the 48v system." You would be wise to purchase 16 cells and connect 2p8s for 24v and if you want to got to 48v later, converter those 16 cells to 16s. If you want to make the battery bank larger, then buy 16 more cells for a second battery in parallel. If you only have 8 cells today, you will later be trying to find 8 more exactly like them and with the same about amount of "wear" so when you connect them 16s for 48v, they will all have the same capacity. Not knowing when you plan this upgrade, you should consider these options...
1. set the original 8 cells aside and get 16 new ones, when you move to 48v
2. be okay with a battery with cells that were somewhat different
3. buy 16 cells now, as described above
Never thought about that but makes perfect sense thanks. It might be a year or 2 before I move to 48v.

What do you plan to operate with the inverter? I think you do not have enough battery to deal with those 6000 watts.
For now its just a deep freezer, refrigerator and 4 led lights. Of course deep freezer and refrigerator will be on 24/7 but the lights at most 3 hours a day. I wont be pushing anywhere near the total 6000 watts but wanted to make the system expandable.

Much better to size the inverter to what you are using. Add additional unit if you may need more watts. Fridge and freezer along with a few LEDs would work very well with 2000W sine-wave inverter. LED are available in dc voltages. Well, for that matter, so are dc powered compressor refrigeration, and freezer.

Back