diy solar

diy solar

Im confused

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1888

Ok on will site his 24v 4000w system build seems wrong, how can you get 4000w on a 80a controller(40+40)? That would only total 1920w of power that the controller can pump into the batteries. Im running a 100a controller and I can only get 2400w worth out of it. So what am I missing on this?

Yeah, I just noticed the same on the 2kW system blueprint.

Technically, since you're charging to 28V+, you can get 2800W out of it.

Yet another reason I encouraged you to go to 48V as a 100A controller could push almost 6kW.

" 400-4000 watts of solar panels " Over paneling (more panels than needed for max charging amps/power) will give you the max charging amps for more hours of the day. With extra panels you can also have some facing somewhat east and some facing somewhat west to flatten out the available power over a longer part of the day. Or have them all together for times with less than idle sun. In this design, yes max charging power would be about 2000w.

" 400-4000 watts of solar panels " Over paneling (more panels than needed for max charging amps/power In this design, yes max charging power would be about 2000w.
Those Epever BN charge controllers claim high over paneling arrays.
3000 watts at 24V with a 40A BN

1598896941060.png

IMHO, overpaneling by any significant amount is silly in almost all cases. For the price of another charge controller, one may capture ALL of the available power rather than clip it off during peak hours.

The only exception for me would be if I had really crappy solar availability, and I wanted to compensate for it with a huge array to get the minimum I need.

Those Epever BN charge controllers claim high over paneling arrays.

Which is to say, you can connect more "sticker watts" (summing the max panel wattage listed on the info tag) than the system could take under perfect conditions. As the expectation is that perfect conditions rarely exist so under less than ideal conditions your still drawing close to rated watts from the PV array.

My guess is that, similar to what @DThames said above, the 4kw upper limit is based around oversizing the array for the least productive months.

I also wouldn't read two far into those numbers, I get the impression Will's numbers for his example systems are more general estimates to beginners an idea of system size, as opposed to finely calculated limits.

Yeah, I just noticed the same on the 2kW system blueprint.

Technically, since you're charging to 28V+, you can get 2800W out of it.

Yet another reason I encouraged you to go to 48V as a 100A controller could push almost 6kW.
Yes I know and I will go 48v later I just need to be safe with all the crap going on in the world today. I have already tried to over panel and the CC dues not like it. My panels each pull more than 100w on a good day so I cant get away with over paneling.

Yes I know and I will go 48v later I just need to be safe with all the crap going on in the world today. I have already tried to over panel and the CC dues not like it. My panels each pull more than 100w on a good day so I cant get away with over paneling.

What controller do you have?

To clarify terms, overpaneling means (to me) total PV array power (Watts) exceeding the controllers max power output. Is this how you define it too? If so, a decent controller should not have trouble being overpaneled so long as you stay below the max input voltage and current of the controller.

What controller do you have?

To clarify terms, overpaneling means (to me) total PV array power (Watts) exceeding the controllers max power output. Is this how you define it too? If so, a decent controller should not have trouble being overpaneled so long as you stay below the max input voltage and current of the controller.
I have this one

Ok on will site his 24v 4000w system build seems wrong, how can you get 4000w on a 80a controller(40+40)? That would only total 1920w of power that the controller can pump into the batteries. Im running a 100a controller and I can only get 2400w worth out of it. So what am I missing on this?

I agree I have the epever 30 amp rated for 390 watts of panels at 12 volt , playing around one day I hooked up about 550 watts of panels and when it was charging at about 29 amps the controller started getting pretty hot to the touch, cant be to good on them long term. At 24 volt its rated 780 watts of panels so I hooked up 800 watts and it does fine with that

I think this may actually be a typo - I don't think Will would specify what you could over-panel to. Of course, I could be wrong, but I would certainly prefer (as a consumer of his blueprints) to see what power I could actually achieve at the output rather than what I could theoretically connect at the input.

I think this may actually be a typo - I don't think Will would specify what you could over-panel to. Of course, I could be wrong, but I would certainly prefer (as a consumer of his blueprints) to see what power I could actually achieve at the output rather than what I could theoretically connect at the input.

Agreed, (well I don't think its a typo), but I do think it would be better and clearer, particularly for newbies, to have the actual maximum Usable watts listed.

Back