diy solar

diy solar

I'm the luckiest boy in the world!

The rack is not adjustable no, I want to add another 5kw array that is more upright just to capture winter, as winter I run out of power nov-jan!

The battery is a 16s4p setup, so each cell is 3.2v nominal * 16. 4 In series to get the 1120ah capacity!

Thanks for the feedback!
That's a lot of juice! Just curious as to what capacity BMS you're using. Continuous/peak rating to be specific.

My 5760 W bifacial array has never hit the rating because my Victron 250/100 maxes out at about 5500 W (which I've seen).
So I'll never know :(

It's "over-paneled" a little. I know, I need more MPPTs... Followed by more batteries... Followed by more panels....

If you have data showing a curve clipped at the top, could curve-fit what might have been.
Year round, might not be many kWh more.

More MPPT would only deliver more on the best (cold) days. Further over-paneling might do more for you when it really matters, also multiple orientations.

not reading the thread... sorry too much look at me... @sunshine_eggo hope you have now accepted my irreverent humor at this point... do you want a tissue a tissue to clean up with? sorry cousin.. but dayum bro... (56 and still an arsewhole).... Congrats you turd. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attached is the record i've seen so far, this happening right now on my array taking in almost 12.5 kw on a 10.7 kw array!

Attachments

• solarinput.png
    solarinput.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
consistent over time?

Only when its cold

Today its cloudy and sunny mixture so I am getting those spikes throughout the day. But if its full sun it will stay that way until the panels heat up. If its -30*C yes i've seen that sustained! But black panels heat up quick from the sun even if its freezing outside.

Only when its cold

Today its cloudy and sunny mixture so I am getting those spikes throughout the day. But if its full sun it will stay that way until the panels heat up. If its -30*C yes i've seen that sustained! But black panels heat up quick from the sun even if its freezing outside.
similar here with mine

when "cloud edge" occurs as clouds pass, the MPPT takes some time to adjust and that jump occurs for me as well. And where are you with -30*C?

canada

I followed your link in your sig

next task: add a diversion load

you can add several kwh of production per day with that
I run two DeltaPro+ExtraBattery units 24/7/365. I watch my app WAY too much. Mostly because I don't have enough battery capacity. I wish I had 2 more ExtraBatteries so I wouldn't have to worry so much about capacity. But yeah .. I watch my input ALL.THE.TIME.

Had a new record day of production again today. We had a cold and clear day with some snow on the ground. The battery was charged from about 25%, plus we did a couple loads of laundry and ran the space heater all day. We ended up just shy of 12KWh.

Spent a lot of time in the closet watching the power pour in to the inverter, again quite the spectator sport. Highest PV output was about 3.35KW. The array reached high power (>1KW) around 8:45 and stayed there until 4:45 or so. I'm digging these days of production getting longer and we're still a month from spring.

Had a good day yesterday, got almost 10kwh. It started cloudy, foggy but was a mostly sunny day with intermittent clouds. This caused some big production spikes as the clouds would clear the sun (edge effect).

There were several times when the array was outputting more than its rated power of 3.56KW. There were several readings above 4KW, including a 4.25KW spike, which is 120% of max. Didn't capture that one, but got some of the +4K spikes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_120752769.jpg
    IMG_20240303_120752769.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240303_122732553.jpg
    IMG_20240303_122732553.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240303_122206354.jpg
    IMG_20240303_122206354.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Am I the only one who who is constantly drawn back to my inverter to see how much power it's pulling in?? I go do something else in the house but I'm back to the solar closet again. It's like a spectator sport for me.

Ooh, look it's pulling in 3,000W!!
Oooh, look at that charging current!
Oh, yeah..

Then I'm all disappointed and deflated when the battery's all topped off.

I need a cigarette..
My wife is getting jealous with all the time I spend looking at my charge controller when I hear the fan humming!😄

Back