diy solar

diy solar

I'm The Only One Who Wants This? No Way.

heirloom hamlet

life my way
I am all 24 volt and 120 ac'd out. 24v solar panels. 24v LiFEpo4 banks. Cabins designed to only need 120v ac. Simple.

But I want to get and give more sun than my LV2424 is designed to do. I want to stack my 250w 24v panels to be over 4KW. Why can't I find a 24v SCC that can do this!?

I want an inverter that can work with my existing 560aH 24v bank but will just give me 120v ac service and more than 13 amps. Cause this here is 'Merica, that's why.

Why, oh, why can't I find an All-In-One that can do this. In fact, why can't I find ANY solar charge controller or inverter that can do this? I'm the only one that likes 24v, nees a big array for limited sun hours, and does not need 240 power. Really?

The LV6548 seems closest, but I think I would have to cut my battery down to 280aH to make it 48v, right? Can my 24v panels be salvaged?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1
Pretty sure panels are panels just configure them to work with the charge controller. Post a pic of the numbers on the back of the panels and the charge controller numbers.
Also you can just add another charge controller and a separate array to charge the same battery.

Yeah lmao.

The reason it doesn't exist is because 4kw @ 24v is nearly 170 amps.

It would be insanely expensive to build something to handle that, and totally unnecessary since you can just use a unit which allows you to parallel more than one.

Assuming you have the parallel capable lv2424, as apparently they sell them without the parallel module, you can just run split phase output and connect 2kw of pv to one, 2kw of pv to the other, get 160a of battery charging and have two legs of 120vac available as well as split phase should you desire it.

If you don't care about split phase, it still doesn't really matter because you can use use each leg for 120.

Good recommendations guys. I actually have x3 LV2424's, and I do have a parallel kit (although no idea how to connect it).

I have planned on having 3 separate systems powering 3 separate structures. I also don't mind the idea of using two of those units on those two structures, and having the third LV2424 as a backup for a quick switch out if there was ever a failure.
Of course, your right, the easiest and cheapest thing I could do is get another LV2424, parallel it, set up a second array, and I get to keep all my amp hours.

I don't get more amperage that way, well I do, but not to a single draw. I really don't need that, though. In my cabin design, the only thing that pushes the 13a limitation is power tools while building...and I can get that power from the utility.

That said, this bad boy is looking pretty sweet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-192155.png
    Screenshot_20210908-192155.png
    955 KB · Views: 7
If you are happy with the the solar controller portion, you could always just add a big ass inverter. I don't know the brands/specs well enough to recommend anything, but I have seen plenty of ads for 5000+watt low frequency inverters with 10kw+ surge for under $1000. Probably enough juice to push a train and drain your batteries as quick as you like.

I want an inverter that can work with my existing 560aH 24v bank but will just give me 120v ac service and more than 13 amps. Cause this here is 'Merica, that's why.
The LV6548 seems closest, but I think I would have to cut my battery down to 280aH to make it 48v, right? Can my 24v panels be salvaged?
560ah at 24v is exactly the same amount of available power as 280ah at 48v. 13440wh, is 13440wh... So your 250w panels are likely around 30v nominal and if you put two in series you have 60v, so all your panels can be reused in a 48v application.

560ah at 24v is exactly the same amount of available power as 280ah at 48v. 13440wh, is 13440wh... So your 250w panels are likely around 30v nominal and if you put two in series you have 60v, so all your panels can be reused in a 48v application.
Of course. Big help, Rich, thank you.

diy solar

diy solar
Back