diy solar

diy solar

What way to go ???

hate to be contivertial, but I am Prity sure it's not the way to go !!!!

unless the inverter is ground to neutral bounded, you really need to make that connection yourself if you are running multiple outlets (ie a extension cord with more than one plug)
Out of the box the ground and neutral are bonded. that ground is maintained over the power strips/extension cords.

I am 100% sure, if you are wanting to run more than one powered appliance from the inverter and you wish the appliances are all grounded you must have a neutral and earth bond

Shouldn't a socket tester on an extension cord read the same as the outlet the cord is plugged into? If not, explain. I don't do videos longer that 2 minutes.
Ok
if I must, as no one has bothered to watch the video's I linked to help you guys understand.

OBVIOUSLY, we are now making 230v from 12v, yes, we all know that, 12v is a lot safer than 230v, we can all agree.

with an extension lead, every socket on the extension lead ultimately shares the same ground,

for arguments sake, say we have a 5-socket extension lead, with say, a kettle, toaster, sandwich maker etc etc and you get a fault on one appliance, now what !!!!???? do you see where this is going ???? every appliance could potentially be live as they are all sharing the same ground, all 5 appliances could have 230v on them ready for you to touch.

these one socket inverters are built with one socket for a reason, why would Victron or other manufactures not put a terminal so you could wire it into multiple sockets via a consumer unit or extension lead, ask yourself, why ONLY ONE socket????

yes you can use a extension lead with multiple sockets, BUT only if the appliances are class 2 items.

YOU SHOULD REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS.

I am trying to help you guys have a better understanding of what's going on with the 230v ac side of things

try watching the video and learn something

these one socket inverters are built with one socket for a reason, why would Victron or other manufactures not put a terminal so you could wire it into multiple sockets via a consumer unit or extension lead, ask yourself, why ONLY ONE socket????
Because it's a small inverter with 1200VA output. Not a huge amount of room to do dual euro socket.Their larger inverters have terminals so you can connect to larger loads, that can exceed the output of a single receptacle.

What would you say about this unit?l (duplex GFCI variant for US market)?
1524y-PIN482122510-Victron-Energy-Phoenix-48-1200-VE-Direct-Pure-Sinewave-Inverter.jpg

In the US, 120 volt. Line, neutral, and ground. Power strip is multiple plugs in parallel.

I don’t see an issue. Maybe it’s a British thing.

In the US, 120 volt. Line, neutral, and ground. Power strip is multiple plugs in parallel.

I don’t see an issue. Maybe it’s a British thing.
as you say it is 120v

we use 110v for site work as its safer.

as to having use one socket due to size

A 230v terminal is tiny, open up a 13amp wall socket.
why not have a wire in terminal like the back off a wall socket ????? BECAUSE it is a one outlet (safely) used item.

as I said, and as explained in the last video link, you can use multi plugs, BUT you need to understand whats going on with the possible earth faults, hence only plug in one class one item or as many as you want class two items.

it is all explained in the three videos NO ONE SEEMS to want to watch (in fear it will contradict what people are trying to argue)

this video is specific to the Victron one socket inverter and being installed in a camper with multi sockets,

YOU can't say I have not shown you enough to convince you

There are dual 12 / 24 volt USB ports if that is a concern. They actually will charge your devices faster if fed 24 volt vs 12 volt.

Here is an example USB port, but there are others as well. I use it in 24 volt systems all of the time and it can really pump some power into your phone.

I used it in this little test fixture build that is under my work bench. The test fixture is completely compatible with 12 or 24 volt just by swapping the inverter. Right now it is set up as a UPS for the garage refrigerator and a light in preparation for the fall forest fires and grid outages.

It has even gotten some use this week because my wire "borrowed" the cord that feeds it and the fridge and light just kept going.

Your van is almost certainly going to include solar power at some point. Using a 24 volt battery doubles the effective power rating of a solar charge controller vs 12 volt. ( 30 amps) x ( 12 volt ) vs ( 30 amps ) x ( 24 volt ) from the same controller.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back