diy solar

diy solar

Implementing a whole hose backup and welcome comments

Is battery cart secured against seismic events?
I wasn't sure that I would be allowed an indoor battery by the AHLJ and I still need to secure this to the wall. On my list today:
1681666970770.png
Your schematic has a backup loads panel, but no provision to supply main panel.
The automatic transfer switch is fed by a 50 amp breaker (6/3 romex and a utility disconnect in between). So the sub panel has 60 amps from utility, 25 amps from battery inverter, and 42 amps from PV (during the day). So the load panel can handle between 75 amps and 117 amps.
PV RSD maybe breakers inside that box.
Yes, the combiner box has a PV RSD and back feed breaker 50 amps has been tied down.
I thought maybe RSD was also supposed to be within 10' of meter.
No, not as far as I know. The meter needs to tell where the RSD is located.
plastic flex
There is a small bit of NM liquid tight and I need that flexibility. Perhaps, I can change that to metal liquid tight at next update.
Zooming in, the boxes are metal.
IMO battery disconnect is also ABS as are the two white junction boxes (yet to paint them) at the top.

Would you suggest I get rid of the ABS? Might be hard for the IMO and its outdoor rated and from a reputed firm.
Are the PV circuits all AC?
All the PV circuits are AC and terminate into combiner box. Please see the SLD in the first picture.
overkill of stickers
I did that just to impress the inspector. Some of those are totally superfluous. Have to remove them and clean with acetone (after killing the energy!).
exterior battery disconnect.
Yes. Liquid tight and non metallic. As is the BOX that came with the disconnect.

Microinverters are UL-1741-SA, so they may work fine with SBS frequency shift when grid is down. But no guarantees. People are having mixed results with other microinverters and other high-frequency battery inverters.
This is a point of worry for me (right now I manually shut down strings). Currently, I don't have PTO and so I have to test off grid. In the off grid mode, during the day, once we fired up the steam room (7.5KW) and it took that in complete stride. The charging turned into 1.1 kw discharge. However, once in the evening, I accidentally turned on steamer while in off grid mode. At that time, the max energy capacity was 6kw and the SMA system shut down due to overload and came back on by itself, still in off grid, after 2 minutes (fortunately, steamer was off by then).
1681669086710.png

Folks:

After a few revision because after the permit, store ran out of stock on modules, I had a success. Today, I also got my city to approve the installation after the inspection.

I am attaching the SLD and the pictures in the spirit of show and tell.

View attachment 144741View attachment 144745View attachment 144744View attachment 144743

Thanks for all the support and I hope to continue to learn from you all.

Anil
MORE UPDATE:

I just received the PGE approval (permission to operate). Yay!!

@agarg - I see you have Sunny Boy Storage with BYD.
I picked up 3x SBS 5.0, and just bought 2x LG RESU-10H. Can't tell if they are -C (SMA) or -R (Fronius)
The serial number I checked is subject to recall, so my plan is to exchange for new ones.
But first, try them out.

Anything you can tell me about configuration and use on & off grid would be appreciated.
I see that an energy meter is an accessory, I would think for zero or limited export.
There is a dearth of configuration information.

The way I'd like to use them is
On grid, charge during low rates, discharge during high rates 4:00 to 9:00 PM.
Off grid, have them respond to frequency shift, charging at max rate up around 61 Hz, ramp down to no charge or discharge at 60.5 Hz, ramp to discharge at max rate at 60 Hz. This way, downstream of Sunny Island (which has AGM), they would keep AGM floating and absorb surplus PV. Lithium does all the cycling.

I see you have Sunny Boy Storage with BYD.
I picked up 3x SBS 5.0, and just bought 2x LG RESU-10H. Can't tell if they are -C (SMA) or -R (Fronius)
The serial number I checked is subject to recall, so my plan is to exchange for new ones.
What kind of deal did you get on those?

Can be done with individual breakers too.
Switches only used for some things.

iu

In our training, "line of sight" isn't good enough, except for an unplugged cord. (and there are hasps for cords, too.)
Mighty expensive lock for a breaker lock out..
😆

What kind of deal did you get on those?

About $1900 including shipping for 3x Sunny Boy Storage 5kW (plus sales tax.)
$3000 for 2x RESU10H, local pickup (plus sales tax.)

You know I don't buy such stuff without a deal! :)💵

LG quotes 95% DoD, warranted 60% capacity until 10 years or 22.5 MW of cycling
Which would be 2400 cycles of 9.3 kWh, 6.6 years

My cost of $750 per 5kWh is about half of LiFePO4 server rack, but cycle life is also half.
No bargain compared to such systems most people here implement. My goal, don't know if SBS will cooperate in terms of functionality, is for cycling to be provided by these lithium batteries while AGM handles surges (and current in excess of 5kW), for maximum AGM life.

Replacement or pro-rated refund from initial install.
I'm not counting on warranty, but I am counting on replacement under recall.

0.5C continuous, 0.7C for 10 seconds, but 0.33C recommended for maximum life.

I would think best life is achieved if not held near full charge, and only cycled 80% to 90%. So charge at preferred rate to hit 100% (or 90% if that can be determined) at 3:00 PM (end of off-peak), discharge to 10% between 4:00 and 9:00 PM.

About $1900 including shipping for 3x Sunny Boy Storage 5kW (plus sales tax.)
$3000 for 2x RESU10H, local pickup (plus sales tax.)

You know I don't buy such stuff without a deal! :)💵
That’s why I asked 😂

What is pushing down the price on these?

I assume SBS+Resu is UL9540?

Are you registering the SBS to your NEM? If so what are they allowing you to do with it?

RESU-10H is of an explody chemistry, and has had multiple recalls.
Now discontinued, but they have other models.

I think list price was $10k for 10kWh. Higher than BYD LiFePO4 is now.

I see others on eBay, some "bulging", none competitive with price I got. But offers ought to be entertained for unusable ones. Seller would be smarter to pursue recall replacement.

I'm not sure what's what in terms of ESS UL listing. Because RESU-10H is 3x 48V packs in series and bidirectional boost converter, it ought to be listed on its own. The inverter doesn't directly interact with batteries (unlike the stackable HV BYD.) But they may not have obtained listing to some new UL xxxx.

It supports 10m battery cable and is weatherproof so can be placed away from house. The inverter also, with 20A AC.

I know battery is allowed to be added to NEM 1.0 and 2.0, will look into adding after my 2.0 is granted PTO. Might put one battery on one SBS and other on one SBSE, which I anticipate buying due to only having picked up one SB -41.

I think allowed to charge from PV only if used for backfeed. Probably allowed to charge from grid for additional local consumption (e.g. at peak rates.)

For my NEM 1.0, may keep my head down unless they bump me on to NEM 3.0. Then, adding SBS would be an excuse to double export wattage (battery inverter allowed to be more than PV inverter.)

Thanks for the info. I'm not as excited to buy a NMC battery on firesale.

For my NEM 1.0, may keep my head down unless they bump me on to NEM 3.0. Then, adding SBS would be an excuse to double export wattage (battery inverter allowed to be more than PV inverter.)
Keep an eye on the early bird adoption incentives for NEM3. You get some more favorable sell-back rates. Probably if your NEM1 expires 1 year after early bird goes away, maybe you will be ahead if switch 1 year early. Probably almost a wash (but I haven't done the math carefully)

I'm not sure what's what in terms of ESS UL listing. Because RESU-10H is 3x 48V packs in series and bidirectional boost converter, it ought to be listed on its own. The inverter doesn't directly interact with batteries (unlike the stackable HV BYD.) But they may not have obtained listing to some new UL xxxx.

The listing is on the whole ESS system (redundant i know) unless they get a listing as a DC ESS (newly defined in the latest version). The boost converter should simplify matters, though I'm not sure where the charge curve management responsibility lies on a bidirectional boost converter.

I would expect boost converter to just hold constant HV.
Comms would specify CV/CC for inverter. Of course, simply letting voltage rise (putting less current in battery) should get inverter to taper off power without comms.
But boost converter and BMS can protect the cells, where non-boost version could be exposed to over-voltage by an inverter.

RESU10H Prime by itself is listed battery. Have to apply again to be DC ESS?
RESU10H with SBS is listed ESS.

Looks like I'm lucky this is still on list. Don't know it will be when I get around to dealing PG&E. I figure that should be after PTO for the GT PV system I'm going to install.

Equipment does fall off the list, e.g. my TriPower doesn't have features required after June 2020. Maybe I can proceed with a reservation. But for my existing NEM 1.0 system I'm inclined to leave sleeping dogs lie, hope they never migrate it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back