diy solar

diy solar

Incremental ESS/PV system (EG4 6000 Xp vs SOL-ARK)?

JetForMe

I’m on my utility's time-of-use plan, where 11 pm to 8 am is 1x, 4 pm - 7 pm is 3x, and the other times are 2x. I have a couple of panels slapped on the roof with microinverters giving me 400 W during the peak part of the day, enough to cover the always-on power consumers in the house.

I'd like to design a a PV, storage, and backup system that I can build out incrementally, starting with something that can reduce my grid use during the most expensive time periods. I'm 99% sure the Sol-Ark can do this kind of thing easily, but with the EG4 6000 Xp being so cheap, it might be an inexpensive way to at least get some demand reduction.

But I can’t quite tell if it’s up to the task. Even its manual is a bit confusing, as it calls itself an "off-gird inverter" and then shows grid connections. In general I find its manual pretty poor compared to the Sol-Ark’s.

To complicate matters further, I'd love to be able to connect this thing initially to the subpanel in my garage, as my meter is integrated into the main panel on the house. I don’t know if these inverters need to sit between the meter and the main panel or not in order to handle the functions I want (charging from the grid/ac-couple solar, providing just enough power to zero out the grid demand during peak times, etc).

Technical feasibility thoughts, please. While I want any installation to be safe, I'm not interested in muddying the conversation with code-compliance concerns.

But I can’t quite tell if it’s up to the task
It absolutely is.

Even its manual is a bit confusing, as it calls itself an "off-gird inverter" and then shows grid connections.
Off-grid inverters (incl. the 6000XP) can still use the grid as a power source (charging your batteries, bypass, etc.). Don't mistake that for grid tied or grid interactive, where power is (or can be) exported to the grid. These off-grid inverters are treated just like any other appliance.

I'd love to be able to connect this thing initially to the subpanel in my garage, as my meter is integrated into the main panel on the house.
Definitely doable (and normal practice), many options to consider depending on load details / power objectives.

Now the issue you might run into with the the 6000XP is UL certification. Not sure what the exact situation is in LA, but I think it's safe to assume you'll need to have it inspected and they'll want to see UL cert. If that's a must, there are still several options besides the Sol-Ark.

Eventually this system will be permitted and inspected. It’s challenging to do that without having a complete install of the full system, which I really don't have the cash for up front. Having said that, I've had conversations with the guy at the local power utility/city inspector (the city owns the power utility) who would be responsible for approving my system, and he's amenable to working outside the typical requirements.

In the meantime, I wanted to know what I could hypothetically make work to reduce grid demand. It sounds like the EG4 can do that just fine, although I'm not sure how it can distinguish my loads from the grid when providing power (does it have CTs on the service lines?).

Thanks for pointing out that it’s not UL-listed. That would mean I probably can't use it in the eventual system. But it's enough cheaper than the Sol-Ark that I might get try it anyway, and just sell it when I upgrade.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

First place to start is to figure out what your load profile is — power demand, day/night highs/lows, and all that good stuff that the seasoned members of this forum will insist you figure out before getting started.

Then determine what your goals are — backup power, reduced grid draw (and cost) all the way to being energy independent.

Then get a good idea of what that means is system size, components that best meet your objectives, and so on. Sounds like you want to plan a system that will gradually scale (smart).

I'm not sure how it can distinguish my loads from the grid when providing power (does it have CTs on the service lines?).
There are a few ways to do this. A dedicated critical loads panel or transfer switch might be the best approach. That will allow you to gradually move specific circuits over to the PV system as your setup scales.

The 6000XP does not utilize CTs since it’s an off-grid. But its big brother, the 18kPV does (and is also grid-tied and UL-listed…and still cheaper than the Sol-Ark equivalent.

Back