diy solar

diy solar

Inverter data gathering via modbus protocol rs 485

martin.cachi

Hi I'm currently doing a small project of mine in my province wherein I want to gather / pull data from the endpoint (inverter) going to cellular gateway via RS 485 modbus protocol. Any suggestions?

It is not a standard protocol. Post what inverter you have, otherwise you won’t get any traction. You may want to edit title or create new thread with the equipment in question.

It is not a standard protocol. Post what inverter you have, otherwise you won’t get any traction. You may want to edit title or create new thread with the equipment in question.

But as zanydroid already said , you'll need the proper protocol and "translator" for your specific inverter
I don't have a specific brand of inverter in mind, but my requirement for the inverter is that it must have a communication protocol (specifically rs 485 modbus)

I don't have a specific brand of inverter in mind, but my requirement for the inverter is that it must have a communication protocol (specifically rs 485 modbus)
Every inverter has its own implementation of what protocol.. rs485 , like serial is just the medium on which that protocol travrls

I have a SolaX inverter (with RS 485) and a planet 4g cellular gateway. Is there a way to pull data with this setup?

Seeing this makes me really embarrassed, sorry, I'm new to this kind of thing. I just wanted to know if there are things I'm missing to make the off grid data gathering work.

To clarify, the SolaX I'm referring is from my parent's house (a hybrid type), which I'll be trying to experiment. The one I'll be using in my province will be another inverter but I don't have a specific brand. I'm from the Philippines (right now I'm making the hot weather as an opportunity to make this work).

I have a Planet gateway router that has 4g, and I was wondering if there's a way to send data from the inverter to me, thus making this project a remote off grid project.

Every inverter has its own implementation of what protocol.. rs485 , like serial is just the medium on which that protocol travrls
1. Do I need something in between the inverter and the gateway?
2. Can I use an archmeter to collect data and have it send remotely via gateway? Or can I just make the inverter send it directly via gateway (thru rs 485)

Again, I do apologize for this. I have an idea when building solar setups, but when it comes to communications I have small experience.

Until you are more specific on the exact inverters then only unspecific answers can be given. Its like asking can you use paper to communicate between people, well yes you can, but in what language or is it even in hieroglyphs.

I use this

to extract data from my Solax as MQTT and then covert it to Modbus to feed a Solar-log data logger.

Seeing this makes me really embarrassed, sorry, I'm new to this kind of thing. I just wanted to know if there are things I'm missing to make the off grid data gathering work.

To clarify, the SolaX I'm referring is from my parent's house (a hybrid type), which I'll be trying to experiment. The one I'll be using in my province will be another inverter but I don't have a specific brand. I'm from the Philippines (right now I'm making the hot weather as an opportunity to make this work).
thanks - that makes sense.

As @houseofancients mentioned most inverters can make data available. This is often, though not always, using modbus RTU protocol on top of a physical RS485 connection. Obviously the individual data registers will be inverter specific.

I have Solis inverters (chinese), which have that ability, as do others, such as Sunsynk/Deye. Suggest you research which inverter will best suit your needs and is availalbe in the Phillippines, check whether/how easily data is available and go from there on your choice of inverter.

Until you are more specific on the exact inverters then only unspecific answers can be given. Its like asking can you use paper to communicate between people, well yes you can, but in what language or is it even in hieroglyphs.

I use this

to extract data from my Solax as MQTT and then covert it to Modbus to feed a Solar-log data logger.

The model I'm currently testing is a SolaX X1 Boost G3. I'm trying to communicate it using the rs485.

Anyone here familliar on the port settings of the rs485 port? (baud rate, stop bits, flow, etc) and what type of data does it provide?

Back