diy solar

diy solar

Need a new BMS and a total newbie .....

davecason

Hi, I have a very simple setup to "play" with it's a ........

My one panel is a Canadian Solar CS3U-380MS
Nominal Max Power (Pmax) 380 W
Opt Operating Voltage (Vmp) 40.0 V
Opt Operating Current (Imp) 9.50 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 47.8 V
Short Circuit Voltage (Isc) 10.01 A
Max System Voltage IEC 1000V & UL 1500V
Max Series Fuse Rating 30 A

I have that panels output going to a EPEVER Tracer 4215BN and I have their software, and it was talking relatively happy on the USB To RS-485 converter but their " Solar Station Monitor" software is buggy as all hell and keeps crashing on my laptop and I have the MT 50 remote meter too .....

I "had" it then going to a DALY J05W3-CP-HJ19 but its SO old that the only plug-in's it had were for each cell. All the other places on that BMS were blanked out so you couldn't plug anything else in and besides - its dead now so I have to replace it . I need a new BMS but obviously I'd want the "best" one out there and since I'm just playing with it and not doing anything with the system but just using it to learn, I figured I should ask you guys (the experts) what you would suggest I replace it with?

So I'd like a JK BMS but when I just on AliExpress I can't find an appropriate model to order? Mostly because the site is such a mess and I need to buy it there since I'm not working right now and funds are limited so I want to get it from there rather then a dealer in Canada and pay the mark up.

That BMS will be wired to four (4) standard LiFePO4 cells from Basen in China. They are:

3.2 V LiFePo4 Cell
Capacity: 272 Ah
Voltage: 3.24 V
IR: 0.12 m Ohm

So there's the 4 in series with the buss bars and I've got a bunch of 50, 60 and 200a fuses with a pile of various length cables all 2 AWG and 5/6 lugs and a few buss bars so hooking it all back up won't be a problem.

Lastly I'm sending the output to a Kisae BIC1220080 but the only loads I'm putting on it are the Inverter itself and just light bulbs as a test load. The scheme is really just to see if I can successfully run a mini bar fridge off this entire system. So again this is just to "play" with and learn nothing serious. Also, as a note the AC input on the Kisae won't be touched or played with till I get more knowledge, the utility input is not even wired up right now. I'm ignoring that feature of the Inverter/Charger.

I'm thinking a JK MBMS mostly because it has all the "bells and whistles" with the new Bluetooth app and the JK-BMS-MONITOR 2.5.0 that I've seen Andy on OGG use but I dunno if they have a 4S model that can use that, I have a very small system obviously.

However, I'd like to play with stuff like built in active balancing from within the BMS, I had a DALY balancer that used that Bluetooth button plug in unit but it died, and I still have a Victron Smart Shunt and the VE Direct USB cable, so I'd like to still learn more about 485, and external power switches, things like remote temp sensors, maybe remote display screens, etc ..... ?

So what model or brand of 4S BMS's can you suggest please? And thanks for reading this post too !

Cheers'
Dave

So again this is just to "play" with and learn nothing serious
AliExpress I can't find an appropriate model to order? Mostly because the site is such a mess and I need to buy it there since I'm not working right now and funds are limited so I want to get it from there
If you are just playing and can’t afford it from not working it’s unclear to me why you would want to put any money into this right now?

But if you want a JKbms I think all you need to do is match up the model with what your battery cells are.
Last I looked that was indicated in the descriptions for the different units.

I have the Overkill BMS Will recommends:

If you are just playing and can’t afford it from not working it’s unclear to me why you would want to put any money into this right now?

But if you want a JKbms I think all you need to do is match up the model with what your battery cells are.
Last I looked that was indicated in the descriptions for the different units.

Because when you're not working it's nice to stay busy and have fun budget or not. As for a JK I looked at a link from Andy's site and also went to the JKBMS site directly ( https://www.jkbms.com/ ) and don't see a model listed for a 4S battery pack .... can you point me in the right direction on their site? That'd be great .....

I have the Overkill BMS Will recommends:

Yea,their site is much clearer to order off of then Jk's it seems (to me anyway) - I was thinking of the 4S with the 24" leads ......

This one: 4s BMS 120a LifePo4 with 24″ 8ga Wires and then get the Bluetooth module .... what do you think?

Because when you're not working it's nice to stay busy and have fun budget or not
I’ve nearly never been bored my whole life except when I’ve been working- too many jobs don’t expect enough performance to keep me from being bored.
Outside of working I have more things to do than three lifetimes could do. ?
I guess I was being myopic.

Other than occasional welding consumables, varnish, woodworking lumber, or boat gas, purchasing something to stay busy has never happened LOL

Back